Re: Folder modification time changing

Sorry, but not an acceptable solution. This has been working for years... now
it isn't. Something has changed.

Either there is something changed in the folder structure on one (or both)
of the machines, or something has changed in OE. Don't know which, but I want
to find out what. This isn't rocket science, it is software. Deterministic
and controlled by programmers/users.

There's a reason and a cure. If I (or my IT guy) changed something, I'd like
to fix it. If MS changed something, I'd like them to (at least have the
opportunity to) fix it. Barring that, I'll have at least one more reason to
grumble about being a "valued" MS customer. For instance, why do IE bookmarks
now get "modified" when they are only "read"? Don't know, but that is a new
MS IE behavior that bugs me too. Didn't know that happens? You wouldn't
unless you tried to use Briefcase to sync favorites between machines too.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress/browse_frm/thread/885dd1dde7c04ae9/8961cb130348a5a0?#8961cb130348a5a0

If you know what's good for you (i.e., if you value your messages, your
folder hierarchy, your Message Rules, and your newsgroups), don't mess with
Folders.dbx!

I would also recommend not using My Briefcase to sync OE data between 2
machines. OEX is a much better and more reliable way to do this (via Export
Messages and Import Messages): http://www.oehelp.com/OEX/Default.aspx
($24.99 USD)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

A2Zog wrote:
Update:

update the files over a period of time.

Additionally, if I copy the modified files one at a time to the home
system,
and start OE between each file, the problem does not surface until I copy
the Folders.dbx file.

Somehow the Folders.dbx file is updated on the work machine, and then when
it is copied home, OE finds some sort of mis-match and opens (and
therefore
changes the modification time of) all the files in the local Folder Store
directory.

I don't know if it is a file/folder name mismatch, a timestamp mismatch, a
versioning mismatch, or what, but something is amiss.

Anyond know of a utility to dump the contents of Folders.dbx?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Does this behavior persist if you do NOT use Briefcase to sync OE on both
machines (i.e., if you temporily forego this syncing for a day or more)?

[much historical trash deleted in the interest of space... see previous
posts for details as needed]

.