Re: Cannot receive 'Error Number: 0x80004005'

Bruce (Hello! That's my name too. Blithe is an alias.)
Full error msg:
An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'skylark', Server:
'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error
Number: 0x80004005

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Z_myobnn', Server:
'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
Number: 0x80004005

NOTE: I get both errors simultaneously (1) skylark is my primary address (2)
My AT&T Yahoo DSL account allows additional addresses thru yahoo mail - I
set both addresses to synchronize when receiving mail. Note that the port
and SSL settings differ between these addresses - by design. Also note - I
have for months been receiving a daily ATT Yahoo email warning me I am using
insecure settings. Sure I complained. ATT Customer Service advised me to
ignore the messages.

UPDATE: Between my 1st message & your response, I downloaded the latest ATT
Self Support software that specifically checks to correct email settings.
It reported finding no problems with either my OExpress email or Internet
connections. Since I was able to send my message to your newsgroup - it
would appear receiving mail is my only issue.

I am using Windows 2000 Pro SP4 & OExpress 6. I have had no recent issues of
any kind. I seldom do. I keep updated manually via Windows Update. I will
wait to hear from you before I try my last resort - contacting ATT so-called
Customer Service.

Thanks for your advice.

Blithe

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Tell us who is your ISP/Mail Server and post the entire error message.
Don't
worry about exposing anything. Spammers don't harvest from message bodies.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Blithe" <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I xxx'd out my account name on the OExpress error I keep getting today
right
after I booted up. I Googled a fix for it applicable to OExpress 4 -
tried
it & it did not work.

OExpress error:
"An unknown error has occurred. xxxxxxxxx Protocol: POP3, Port: 995,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x80004005"

I checked & verified that I am using the correct server settings for my
Internet service provider.
When this error appeared some months ago I discovered my settings had
been
corrupted & resetting them fixed the issue. What now?

Please advise - thanks
Blithe

  • Re: Exchange SMTP
    ... POP3 is a protocol used to retrieve mail from your ISP's mail server /* ... Outlook Express for Windows folk) connects to the mail server on port ... SMTP which is what Exchange is designed to use best. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: cannt send or receive
    ... Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: ... 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure: No, Error Number: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Anyone using BT as an ISP?
    ... settings for Pop3 given by the BT help people but no joy. ... There seems to be some confusion at BT as to what the settings ... mentioned the same server but using SSL and port 995. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • Re: Exchange 2000 POP3 Connector Port
    ... Exchange Server supports POP clients, a legitimate usage for POP, but not the kludgy POP Connector, which uses the POP3 protocol for purposes for which it was never intended. ... So we changed our SMTP connector's port settings ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: IPSec filtering vs. VPN
    ... Does it work if you allow Protocol 47 from ... >that makes the VPN usable. ... >Port 1723 protocol TCP from any IP address to my IP address ... am I maybe applying the settings to the wrong card? ...