Re: Moving Outlook Express email to another computer

pcbuilder98 wrote:
"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
pcbuilder98 wrote:
OP wrote:
I have a laptop that I am retiring. I want to move my Outlook
Express
identities and emails to a new laptop which is running Vista
Business.

Can someone tell me how to do this and where are the emails located
on
the old laptop.
<snip>
OEQB can be used to copy (restore) mail and all settings to a new
computer:
http://www.oehelp.com/oebackup/oeqb.htm
I know because I just did it myself and it was quite painless using
OEQB.

And did you use the backup you created to transfer the data into Windows
Mail in Vista???

No not Vista.

Well, OP was asking about Vista.

...Are you saying that OEQB cannot transfer mail and settings to
Vista?...

See the section "Importing from Outlook Express" here and draw your own
conclusions: http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

(No, OE data cannot be imported into Windows Mail without first jumping
through several hoops.)
--
I was unable to draw a conclusion by reading that page. Since I don't use
Vista and thankfully never will it's not my problem.

Then why did you recommend OE-QB to the OP here?

This page:
http://www.oehelp.com/default.aspx
does list a program called OEX which claims to be able to import and export
messages from DBX or EML files. It also says: "WORKS IN WINDOWS MAIL IN
VISTA!" Draw your own conclusions.

The fact that OE-QB can be used to back-up Windows Mail data does not mean that OE data backed-up using OE-QB can be imported directly into Windows Mail.

Never assume. Do the research.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

  • Re: Newsgroup not starting at top, and how to import old emails from OE
    ... The mail program that comes with Vista is called Windows Mail, ... I can probably connect it to my network, copy the email files over into the proper identity folder, and then extract the emails I need. ... Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: OT:Windows Mail Problem
    ... In the process of separating my real life from my work life, I bought a Sony Vaio with Vista as the OS. ... The default Mail and News Reader is an Outlook Express replacement called Windows Mail. ... I traded emails with the ISP tech support for several iterations. ...
    (rec.equestrian)
  • Re: FAO Rowland
    ... I've just replied to your 3 emails again so if you didn't get my replies, ... I ain't a fan of Vista, but "Windows Mail" is probably the best client ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)