Re: Not Responding

Bruce,

It seems, after several successful re-boots and OE startups, that
emptying and compacting the default OE folders has in fact cleared
up the problem with OE "freezing" when Send/Recv attempts to run.

I thought too that the fix for OE "freezing" might also clear up the
"OE did not shut down properly" message I get on most, if not all,
morning startups of OE. Have you seen that problem occur where
OE is closed regularly using the normal "X" close method?

Bill

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
There are a number of possibilities, so I think it's best to start with
the easiest.

Move all mail out of any default OE folder to user created folders.

Follow up by compacting.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
until the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program
will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

If still no joy, you may have a damaged identity especially if it is the
default Main Identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a new
one and test it. If all is well, you can import your messages and Address
Book from the old identity and delete it.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169

Do the above, reboot, and then let us know if it helped.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Bill" <billstanton@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Just within the past week or so, OE freezes
following the morning's boot "if" I click on
"Send/Recv". Other functions "Newsgroups",
folder and message views function normally,
but as soon as I click on "Send/Recv" OE
"hour-glasses" and I have to cancel with the
Task Manager.

There are no error messages nor do I get the
opportunity to log the condition with MS.

The problem clears up if I re-boot the
machine.

I've been using OE for at least 10 years or
more without any difficulties. I don't see
anything in recent MS updates pertaining to
OE, so I can't tell if any recent MS updates
are to blame or not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

  • Re: .dbx folder - does not show in OE6 window
    ... Just an FYI. Manually compacting all folders in the manner Gerry explained /does/ reset the registry counter back to zero. ... Fortunately, once the scan is complete, it offers the opportunity "Continue Anyway" which allows the user an opportunity to examine its' findings and copy specific Registry details to the clipboard. ...
  • Re: Where are Compacted OE Messages stored ???
    ... Now when you compact, a copy of your dbx files are sent to the Recycle Bin in the event that something should go wrong and messages, or entire folders, are lost when you are compacting. ... This new mandatory backup is something people have been asking for quite awhile as we spend a lot of time helping people getting their messages back, and they have to purchase a tool to recover messages. ...
  • Re: Lost Inbox Contents from Compacting Inbox
    ... Yes, as I wrote in the original post, My OE froze while compacting my Inbox, ... Why does OE insist on compacting folders when I close it?: ...
  • Re: Problem Manually Compacting OE 6
    ... compacting all and I still get the directdb.dll error. ... create new folders, move the messages to them and then compact. ... General precautions for Outlook Express: ...
  • Re: Two problems
    ... These folders have been compacted and re-compacted at the 100 ... not correspond to Inbox in the new Identity. ... thus abandoning the archives I been keeping ... there never was a problem before the compacting ...