Re: Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close...

"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Start here: http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a
manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown
your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- WinXP SP2 only: If your machine is fully up-to-date at Windows Update,
installing the following patch (KB918766) will help to avoid such data
loss in the future:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=86b68a78-f325-4a95-98c2-98af2256ccc3

This patch will be included in the next Cumulative Update for Outlook
Express/WinXP SP2.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Good info here, I will take all the emails in the "Sent" folder and put them
in my own created folder.

I turned off the A/V email scanning program too.

I have the auto compact and auto email check boxes, unchecked so they don't
go on either, I can do that manually.

So when will there be an OE7 with fixes and upgrades to follow with IE7?

--
Sprockets
IE7, OE6, YIM8, WinXP2

  • Re: OE6 locks during downloads
    ... Few if any anti-spam apps play nice with OE, George. ... If the behavior does not persist, compact the other ... I do empty deleted Items Folder sometimes several times daily! ... Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause ...
  • Re: the folder is currently in use by Outlook Express or by another ap
    ... This usually happens if you've created a new local folder or renamed an existing folder during the current OE session and/or you haven't been compacting all OE folders on a very regular basis. ... Disable Background Compacting and frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". ... Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments. ... other window appears, ...
  • Re: Folder modification time changing
    ... Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments. ... home machine after work. ... the store folder at home, but not on the store folder at work. ...
  • Re: OE6 locks during downloads
    ... If the behavior does not persist, compact the other ... I do empty deleted Items Folder sometimes several times daily! ... minimize the problem, I suppose, by downloading messages every hour, ... Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause ...
  • Re: Directory in use
    ... The folder should be microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers, ... It looks like folder.dbx,yes, as I can separately compact that folder ... rename the Folders.dbx file with OE closed then restart OE. ... >>> Also are you using email scanning with your AV software? ...