Re: Can't create mail or open address book

Download this patch also. It is due to come out as part of a Cumulative Patch in the future, but it is available now and may help you out.

Patch KB918766:
http://tinyurl.com/mx3r2

This patch addresses some of the issues that were caused by KB911567.

Address Book problems.
Unsent templates appearing as sent.
Manually compacting will now reset the registry counter to Zero in WinXP/SP2 and also sends a copy of your dbx files to the recycle bin as a temporary backup.

To complete the fix for .eml templates, a registry change is needed. See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918766

Tom Koch also has this information at his site, along with a downloadable Zip file to do the registry change for you. See:
http://www.insideoe.com/#kb918651
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Craig" <Craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3EA599A7-38E9-4883-BADB-54C8F0012899@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello again - turns out I had already re-installed the patch: update site had
nothing new for me. As I mentioned in previous post, I do keep update set to
"notify", and install all updates as they are offered.

File versions are as follows:

MSOE.DLL: 6.00.2900.2869(xpsp2_sp2_gdr.060316.1512

INETCOMM.DLL: 6.00.2900.2962(~gdr.060727.0051)

DIRECTB.DLL: 6.00.2900.2180(~rtm.040803.2158)

Still no function of OE or address book. I'm using Outlook for email now,
and I assume it would not be wise to import mail or addresses from OE. :)

thanks, Craig

"PA Bear" wrote:

You're running outdated and much less-secure versions of OE, IE and WinXP
SP2. Check in at Windows Update /immediately/ and install all critical
updates offered. Follow all prompts.

Now make sure Automatic Updates is enabled:

Description of the Automatic Updates feature in Windows:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294871

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525

Let me know how things are after taking care of all the above.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Craig wrote:
> Hi - All three files are:
>
> 6.00.2900.2180(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> OE Help > About > Files: What versions of MSOE.DLL, INETCOMM.DLL and
>> DIRECTDB.DLL are listed here, Craig?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)
>>
>> Craig wrote:
>>> By the way, I have also tried the solution suggested by Pa Bear, re:
>>> registry DWORD useoutlook - I don't have that value in my registry

  • Computer Security Rule to live by
    ... If asked to download a file if not sure what it does, ... Patch your computer's operating system ... Get a firewall use it and then check for patches and updates for it. ... Computer Security is more about what you do or don't do. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: WINDOWS UPDATE
    ... Let's see what the new Microsoft Update Catalog has: ... In most instances I have always been able to download the new patch from a broadband connection, save it to a disc so I can install the updates to my machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cant create mail or open address book
    ... This patch will backup your e-mail when you compact. ... I wasn't aware of a warning to backup your system prior to the download. ... and install all updates as they are offered. ...
  • Re: Web update library in python?
    ... I want to provide my users the ability to download a repository from ... and after that check for updates. ... and let the patch be applied locally. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Blaster - ms03.26
    ... >Craig wrote: ... >> least the service pack 2 to perform the fix. ... >> download of service pack three thinking that the ... >> site for critical updates. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)