Re: 0X800CCC0F Error preventing OE6 sending mail

"Rob Smyth" <RobSmyth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I got this error on my old PC (Win98 with Norton 04) and was
unnsuccesful in try to fix it. I recently got a new PC (XP Media
Edition SP2 and McAfee Secuirty Center preinstalled) and ran some
relocation software to transfer my old flies to the new machine.
Unfortunately it appears to have brought the 0X800CCC0F error with
it, so I can receive emails, but not send any. Popup says:
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a
long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.XXX.com', Server:
'mail.XXX.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error
Number: 0x800CCC0F <<
I've tried the steps in Bruce Hagen's posts in response to this error
posted by other people, including turning off McAfee, reinstalling
OE6 and running the steps to completely remove any trace of Norton,
but I am still getting the same error.
During the file relocation process i noticed it also copied some
registry entries to my new machine. Is it possible that there's a
registry setting somewhere that is still that is causing this?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!!

This is usually caused by an anti-spam program or and anti-virus set to scan
email.

Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. It provides no added
protection. After doing so it may be necessary to reset the server names in
OE.

The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
Published: November 18, 2004
By Tom Koch
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Email scanning slows down Sending and Receiving, sometimes enough that OE
times out. Since some of the received messages have large (often virus)
attachments, which exasperates the problem.
Some Comcast users have found it necessary to totally uninstall Norton and
switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off. Norton invented email
scanning and here's what they say:

"Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/4ba5fc8ef939c44c88256c7500723cf0

"...your computer is protected if Auto-Protect is enabled. Auto-Protect
scans any incoming files, including email attachments, when the files are
saved to your hard drive."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001100907323806

"NAV provides multiple layers of protection. Email scanning is just one of
those layers. Even if you are not running Email Scanning, your computer is
protected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments by NAV
Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect will scan any incoming files, including email
attachments, as they are saved to your hard drive. To make sure that
Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep Auto-Protect enabled
and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have the most recent virus
definitions."
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf/f7d6cb402f0b760785256ee600549628/abcba312aed2225285256edd00478dbd?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

See also
http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/norton_antivirus.shtml

So Symantec used to say this often and clearly. The newer stuff doesn't
have the statement included as it was considered an embarrassment. If you
know anyone who programs for Norton try to get them to talk about it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com