Re: address bar not working properly
- From: "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:05:00 -0400
(1) MS plans to re-release MS06-015 on 25 Apr-06 to address known issues associated with the first release of the update:
"When the update is re-released, it's going to be very much targeted to people who are having the problem, or people who have not installed MS06-015 yet. That means if you have already installed MS06-015 and are not having the problem, there's no action here for you. Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Automatic Update will have detection logic built into them to only offer the revised update (which essentially includes the reg key fix) to those customers who either don't have MS06-015 or are having the problem."
(2) You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015 (v3.0, 20 Apr-06)
.. You cannot access special folders such as "My Documents" or "My Pictures."
.. Microsoft Office applications stop responding when you try to save or to open Office files in the "My Documents" folder.
.. Office files that are located in the "My Documents" folder cannot be opened.
.. If you open a file by clicking Open on the File menu, the application stops responding.
.. When you type an address in the Address box in Microsoft Internet Explorer, nothing happens.
.. When you right-click a file and then click Send To, nothing happens.
.. When you expand a folder in Windows Explorer, nothing happens.
.. Some third-party applications stop responding when you open or save data in the "My Documents" folder.
The Registry edit referenced in Resolutions section of 918615 above can be implemented by downloading:
HP's Share-to-Web software - Fix (Line 383, Right)
(good for WinXP and Win2K03, but not Win2K)
To use: Download the .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.
(3) Mike Reavey [MSFT] suggests here http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2006/04/18/425473.aspx that older NVIDIA graphics card drivers [and Nvidia's Nview desktop] may be a factor in applications ceasing to respond after installing MS06-015. Check your computer manufacturer's Tech Support pages for NVIDIA driver updates or start here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
(4) More on all of this at http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=19125 &ff
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org
Normally I go to the address bar, click on it,
the whole thing turns blue and I type:
This usually works and does still on my laptop, but not on my desktop
since about a week ago. Wondering if I changed something without knowing
"Bruce Hagen" wrote:
> If I click on:
> It opens. If this is a problem when clicking a link id Outlook Express,
> be more specific.
> If this is a problem with Internet Explorer, you're asking in the wrong
> Bruce Hagen
> MS MVP - Outlook Express
> "mark" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > Hi Bruce,
> > I am having the same problem. I know I am typeing my address
> > correctly.
> > "www.dcu.org"
> > My address line does nothing at all. If I type "dcu.org"
> > it works, but if I use www it won't
> > Any thoughts?
> > Thanks
> > Mark
> > "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
> > > Click on this link and see what happens. Yours isn't spelled
> > > correctly.
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/
> > >
> > > For Internet Explorer help:
> > >
> > > IE6 Specific Newsgroup:
> > > news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
> > >
> > > IE General newsgroup:
> > > news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
> > > --
> > > Bruce Hagen
> > > MS MVP - Outlook Express
> > > ~IB-CA~
> > >
> > > "denis" <denis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > news:20678219-4EFD-436B-B209-0B884FBE38C1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > > when i type "mircosoft.com" in the address bar my computer will
> > > > not link
> > > > me
> > > > to the microsoft site.... in fact nothing happens. i have tried
> > > > antispyware
> > > > and antivirus and getting updates but still it is not working.
> > > > Any ideas
> > > > that may help????? Thank-you
- Prev by Date: Re: Folders.dbx back up - now my Sent Mail is gone - help
- Next by Date: Re: what is this?
- Previous by thread: Re: address bar not working properly
- Next by thread: Last OE update under Windows 98/ME