Re: Getting e-mails from ISP's web mailbox to OE

AVG doesn't do anything about Spam, it is just an anti-virus program that works just fine.

You would go into the Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs, and remove McAfee VirusScan. The firewall should be separate and that you can leave.

AVG is an excellent A/V program, but you'll have to look elsewhere for a Spam program. (If you don't post your real address on unsecure websites, and especially newsgroups, you wouldn't get Spam.

I have had my current address for a year and get no Spam and have no rules. Notice my munged address.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

"Mac Man" <rimamac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2979CF35-6D78-43D3-A7E8-4611BCA7BD56@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do I disable to whole suite, or just one part and if so, which one. Also, if
I disable McAfee, will I have the same level of protection with AVG that I do
now. This problem only seems to have come up lately. If I do disable "M"
since I am using its Firewall Plus protection, should I then revert back to
the Windows installed firewall protection. I guess I am just a little
apprehensive about disabling McAfee. Just what is AVG, and what exactly does
it do. Thanks for all the help.
--
His Servant

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

I have a feeling that McAfee is causing the problem. I had it once only
because my computer came with a trial period. It kept changing the settings.
I dumped McAfee and use AVG (free).

Norton (and McAfee) products are not Outlook Express friendly, and I don't
know of any OE-MVP that would recommend using them. Let's see what someone
else has to offer.

If you would like to try AVG, download it here:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

When prompted, choose Custom Installation and *uncheck* e-mail scanning when
you see the option.

You can Keep McAfee for now, just disable it. You have nothing to lose since
this program is free.
--

> No, I have the McAfee Security Suite which includes anti-spam.
> -- > His Servant
>

> "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
>
>> Do you have an Anti-Spam program? Norton NIS?
>> -- >> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
>> ~IB-CA~
>>
>> "Mac Man" <rimamac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > Bruce, this is a second reply to your response. I went back into my
>> > anti-virus program and discovered that e-mail scanning is already
>> > disabled.
>> > If that's the case is there another solution?
>> > -- >> > His Servant

  • Re: Getting e-mails from ISPs web mailbox to OE
    ... Do I disable to whole suite, or just one part and if so, which one. ... I disable McAfee, will I have the same level of protection with AVG that I do ... apprehensive about disabling McAfee. ...
  • Re: McAfee and Comcast
    ... I used the McAfee security suite provided free by Comcast for several ... went with AVG anti-virus and Comodo firewall. ... bannerware during updates that interfere with other running programs. ... that changes within the Sandboxie VM, like downloading and installing AX ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Task Mgr & Registry locked! AV wont load!
    ... I ran Housecall and AVG and they found nothing. ... I then ran McAfee FreeScan ... -- Do you think I have eliminated the virus? ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion)
  • Re: Task Mgr & Registry locked! AV wont load!
    ... I ran Housecall and AVG and they found nothing. ... I then ran McAfee FreeScan ... -- Do you think I have eliminated the virus? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Task Mgr & Registry locked! AV wont load!
    ... I ran Housecall and AVG and they found nothing. ... I then ran McAfee FreeScan ... -- Do you think I have eliminated the virus? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)