Re: Uninstall OE 6 having error messages

From: Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE (franksaunders_at_mvps.org)
Date: 02/03/05

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 04:05:41 -0600

"Senioritis" <Senioritis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4F6CFBC5-8470-447A-AB5E-AE8116C2BA66@microsoft.com
> Everytime I open OE6 I get a Windows Error Message saying Outlook
> Express has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the
> inconvenience. When you click on either Don't Send or Send Error
> report, OE shuts down without warning. I have heard OE could be
> corrupt but I cannot figure out how to uninstall OE. I have tried
> deleting from Add/Remove Programs and from the Program Files folder
> but it does not work. I would appreciate any help in figuring out
> how to repair or uninstall OE6. TIA
> Debi

If it gives you an error message saying that it needs to close, then it
isn't shutting down without a warning, is it?

First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only.  Do not send email

  • Re: IE doesnt load any web pages
    ... >>> i do becasue MSN messanger, firefox and even the in built windows ... >>> load) I've checked that the program is allowed connection through ... >> What You Should Know About Spyware ... >> repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks AFTER you remove the software (all ...
  • Re: IE 6 Errors and Program Crashes
    ... > with Spybot and it says they have been corrected, ... >>> I am running Windows XP SP2 ... >> What You Should Know About Spyware ... Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. ...
  • Re: problem with OE6
    ... > i also removed OE through the add/remove windows components and again ... What You Should Know About Spyware ... LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows ... Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder ...
  • Re: IE Half starts - What DLLs does IE Use?
    ... but the Windows Flag icon in the upper right corner does not wave like it does when IE is looking for web content, and you can't get any of the buttons or pulldown menus to work. ... I'm beginning to think something in all the SpyWare she once had has ... I know we can we download the FireFox install package ... Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stack and you may not be able to connect to the Internet. ...
  • Re: Internet Explorer Hang
    ... from internet except updates and do not ever click on adds. ... Windows XP w/SP2 installed from factory. ... Probably why my Spyware checks find nothing. ... Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. ...