Re: OE and Hotmail

From: PA Bear (PABear_at_mvps.org)
Date: 10/01/04

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:49:09 -0400

Some observations and facts upon reading your epistle, Mr. Kelsey, in no
particular order:

Please keep in mind that MSN/Hotmail is still a free email account.
Accessing the account in OE or OL is what MSN/Hotmail is beginning to charge
for...and cheaply, too: At US$19.95/year, Hotmail Plus costs 5 a day
(that's .044 or .03 ) for unlimited sending/receiving. For that money,
in addition to the ability to access the accounts in a Mail Client,
subscribers also get:

    - 2GB storage space (vs. the default 250MB inbox),

    - the ability to send/receive attachments of up to 20MB (vs. 10MB
default; Try either in your ISP's account!),

    - no account expiration (as long as your accouns in good standing), and

    - no ads in your messages.

All MSN/Hotmail accountholders also have access to MSN Calendar again, a
privilege withdrawn from free accounts about a year ago, which can be shared
with other MSN/Hotmail accountholders.

Tell me this, does BT give you your telephone service, local, national and
international, free of charge? Does the Royal Mail let you send letters,
postcards and packages all over the world for free? (Of course, Hotmail is
about as reliable as BT and Royal Mail when it comes to on time delivery
<eg> and all three couldn't care less about making anything convenient for
you.)

You heard it here first: If you do indeed have 5,000 contacts in your Yahoo
addressbook, I advise you *not* to synch it with Address Book...unless you
don't care about being able to *see* your contacts listed in Address Book or
Contacts pane.

All Hotmail accounts are personal accounts. Using a Hotmail account for
business purposes is a violation of MSN/Hotmail's User Agreement.

As http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878462#appliesto clearly points out,
the new policy applies to all currently supported versions (5.5, 6 and 6
SP1) OE versions in all currently supported OSS (Win98/98SE/ME, kinda/sorta,
and Win NT, Win2K, WinXP and WinServer 2003, not just WinXP SP2.

The problem with spam doesn't necessarily refer to *received* spam but,
mainly, sent spam, most of it virus-laden. How much spam is there these
days?

"Spam filtering company Postini is reporting that the percentage of email
processed by them which was identified as spam has dropped between the
months of August and September (2004). Unfortunately, the number only
dropped from 76% to 75%, meaning that the vast majority of email is still
spam. According to Postini, more than 5.6 billion pieces of email went
through their system during the month of September, and they stopped nearly
79 million instances of viruses."
cf. http://spam.weblogsinc.com/entry/8928259724858914/

Mind you, that's just mail that went through Postini's system!

While MS may be beginning to return some shareholders money in the form of
dividends, I can assure you that *none* of these monies was generated by
Hotmail. As for "lobbing" some of that money "towards the users who made
those profits for them," MS is doing just that. MS investors, by "loaning"
money to MS in the form of purchasing shares of stock, helped "make that
profit for MS", not Hotmail users. Have you no idea of capitalist theory?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

<snip>