Re: Restore Defaults Grayed Out in Advanced Tab

From: Tim (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 03/31/04

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:26:15 -0800

Thanks!!!! I have Spybot and Spyware Blaster, both which I use and update frequently. I don't use Ad-Aware, but I will give it a try. I was having a bit of trouble with Spybot updating and uninstalled it for a bit, so something must have messed up the registry in the interim, but you are indeed the man. Thanks again!
Tim

     ----- oops!! wrote: -----

     Great!

     Zee

     "rich strauss" <richstrauss@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
> Dude you are the best I was looking for this and this totally helped me
> thanks so much I have my home page back now.....YIPPPPPEEEEE
>> --
>>> Rich Strauss
>> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> 1) Restores the missing Tabs in IE (usually spyware related)
>> 2) Unlocks the grayed-out Home Page section
>> 3) Removes the Administrator message in Internet Options
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/. Update and run this
> regularly
>> to get rid of most "spyware/hijackware" on your machine. If it has to
     fix
>> things, be sure to re-boot and rerun AdAware again and repeat this cycle
>> until you get a clean scan. The reason is that it may have to remove
> things
>> which are currently "in use" before it can then clean up others.
>> available here:
>> http://security.kolla.de/
>> I recommend using both normally.
>> After fixing things with SpyBot S&D, be sure to re-boot and rerun SpyBot
>> again and repeat this cycle until you get a clean "no red" scan. The
> reason
>> is that SpyBot sometimes has to remove things which are currently "in
     use"
>> before it can then clean up others.
>> SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard here to help prevent this kind of thing
> from
>> happening in the future:
>> Prevents malware Active X installs.
>> SpyWare Blaster is not memory resident ... no CPU or memory load - but
> keep
>> it updated.
>> The latest version as of this writing will prevent installation or
     prevent
>> the malware from running if it is already installed, and it provides
>> information and fixit-links for a variety of parasites.
>> Monitors for attempts to install malware.
>>> I have had this problem with previous versions of IE as well, and
> remember
>> there being a fix, but I cannot for the life of me find it. When I go to
> the
>> advanced tab under tools->internet options, the restore defaults button
     is
>> grayed out, preventing it from working. I can't click the restore
     defaults
>> button, and I am unable to add or remove check marks from any of the
>> settings under the advanced tab. I have tried re-installing and
     repairing
> IE
>> 6, but to no avail. I am using Windows 98 SE. When I tried to revert
     back
>> a previous version, it said the files were missing or corrupt, so I am
>> stuck. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: event viewer. error 7026
    ... My system is very clean and all is well. ... because you are booting Safe Mode without networking and the message ... The issue is usually a malware infection. ... It is easy to fix - after the scans run clean. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Spyware/Virus Infestation
    ... >> Suggestions and methods to clean up this mess and to keep it clean are ... > infested it will be impossible to find and fix everything. ... > backdoors of one malware will be quickly exploited by other malware and so ... I suppose there are many game servers applications out there ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: How would you fix a badly infected PC?
    ... it's your job to fix it. ... Is there any way to clean the machine without loading any new software ... software woud you use to clean the infected drive? ... after backing up any data files - these will need AV and malware ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Spyware/Virus Infestation
    ... >> Suggestions and methods to clean up this mess and to keep it clean are ... Does the XP Firewall have a DMZ for game playing? ... > infested it will be impossible to find and fix everything. ... > backdoors of one malware will be quickly exploited by other malware and so ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Is Update Working?
    ... >> apparently due to something after I selected the fix to download. ... >After that the log seemed clean but apparently for a long time there ... two installs of XP PRO. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)