Re: IE Constantly Shust Down ?

Who do you trust? All suggestions would be
welcome. I feel like a new kid on the block with
this XP after having used PC's for the past 20+
years...........Thanks!

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE"
<franksaunders@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Nope, never heard of 'Otto'.
No one program will take care of all malware. I
don't trust McAfee and
Norton to do anything but slow down and mess up
your computer.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup

"Bubey" <Bubey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks for the reply. I was going through the
add/remove programs in the Control Panel and
came
across a program
called "Otto". Ever heard of it ? I went to
click on it to "change or remove" to see if I
could find out what this program was about and
poof, it was removed. Usually this type of
click
would get a
confirmation to remove to click on.

I thought my McAffee had a spyware program built
in but
guess not. I usually use Norton and every so
often use
the Housecalls.com site just to make sure Norton
is doing
it's job.

"Bubey" <Bubey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a brand new laptop with IE6 on it.
It constantly shuts down. First given me a
box that says do I want to send this info to
MS. When I say Yes or No it then shuts
down and I have to start all over. This
doesn't
have just a few times, it constant. I wouldn't
think that a brand new install would have this
problem. Help Please !

OS: WinXP Pro SP2
1gb Memory and HD

I would suspect a malware infection.

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?

Help with Hijackware
All MS - MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
(http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm)
(http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm)
(http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html)
(http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm)

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by
deceptive software.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

  • Re: Internet connectivity
    ... you have some firewall (not Norton or McAfee) running before you connect again. ... Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE ...
  • Re: Opinions Please on Norton
    ... that is what Willy uses in his shop to clean up computers. ... Me....I prefer EZ Trust. ... > Norton is OK, but it's really no better than the free version of AVG. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Printer sharing with MS network
    ... I checked Norton on both computers and on the computer with the printer attached it appeared that Norton had been automatically configured to trust the network. ... Do you have any firewalls other than Windows Firewall installed, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: User Account Control alert - Remember trusted program?
    ... Norton has a nice little free program for this. ... alert warning me that an "uanauthorized program" wants access to my ... Is there any way to get the computer to remember that I trust this ...
  • Re: Why a firewall for a PC?
    ... I trust Norton, for the most part. ... With McAfee I had false positives (I think, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)