Re: ddraw.dll error followed by iexplore closedown

Hi flusters :-)

Hi Jan :-)

Sorry about the delayed reply.

The good news is that in safe mode SpyBot found a (red) Virus problem and
fixed it. I also repaired IE6 with AVG and firewall disabled. I also
downloaded/installed/ran PocketKillbox, About Buster, BHO Demon. I then came
out of safe mode and ran all my usual protect programs (CCleaner,
CWShredder,AdAwareSE,Spyware Blaster, SpyBot again, PC Bug Doctor). Clean
bill of health. I then ran IE for 90 minutes and it worked like a dream.

So many, many thanks for all your help. I have printed out your replies in
case I need to go further with HiJackThis etc in the future. I spent 2 hours
reading stuff on both the forums suggested - AumHa and Bleeping Computer.
Most interesting.

You're very welcome. Well done! :-)

Three small questions. 1. My system is permanently set to "show all files" incl hidden. Do I need to change this?

As long as you are the only one using the machine, I wouldn't worry about it. But, if there are others who have access to your machine, then I'd switch it back just to be on the safe side.

2. SpyBot. I use the Default rather than the Advanced setting. Is that OK?

Yes.

3. The MS Antispyware Program (Beta) does not say that it can be run on
Win98SE. Presume I was right to ignore it?

No, it is not compatible with Win 98, so you should not use it on your system:

"System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Advanced Server,
Windows 2000 Professional Edition , Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000
Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4,
Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows XP Home Edition , Windows XP Media
Center Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition , Windows XP Service Pack 1,
Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition"

Also see the information here:

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta): System requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/requirements.mspx

Hope this helps :-)

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Thanks again.

Flusters :-)

"Jan Il" <abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi flusters :-)

Win 98:

Pocket Killbox: Scroll down to Killbox here: 95-XP
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showtopic=2681

BHODemon: Read the information at this download site:

HiJackThis - Yes, it is safe for Win98 - XP

In spite of the fact that you may have already run SpyBot, AdAware, AVG or
others, it is very important that you run them again in Safe Mode
according
to the instructions.  Running them in Safe Mode will insure that some
malware and pests cannot use files that are being used by Windows to keep
from being detected or removed.  Perform all the scanning and removal
steps
as outlined, as there are some variants that can replicate themselves
repeatedly if not removed  properly.  Please follow all the instructions
carefully:

Hope this helps :-)

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Hi Jan :-) > > Wow. Thanks so much. I will work through your suggestions in order. > > Incidentally, I run AVG permanently, also with a daily full test and an > automatic check for daily updates. Zone Alarms and Spyware Blaster are > also > running and kept updated. The following are run at least twice a week
and
> are kept updated:-
> SpyBot, AdAwareSE, CCleaner, CW Shredder, PCBug Doctor.
>
> However, stupidly, I realise that I have not disabled AVG and ZA when
> repairing IE6. In addition, I have repaired it from Settings>Control
> Panel>Add/Remove Programs>MSIE6SP1 and Internet Tools>Repair IE. Will
> follow
> your suggestion to the letter - also with the reinstallation of DirectX
9.
> This ie my stupidity, could be the cause of the problem.
>
> Presume BHO Demon, PocketKillbox and HiJackThis will all run with
Win98SE

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q194/1/77.asp&NoWebContent=1
>> or
>> http://snipurl.com/6s3r
>>
>> It is also possible that you have scumware on your system that can
cause
>> this problem. In addition to updating and running your AV, download,
> install
>> and run the programs below in Safe Mode with Hidden Files enabled.
This

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=3019&file=11&evp=9e0433de9f8fd8e137fd6b3ff02edc90

>> Next, do an Online scan here (if possible) -
>> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>> Make sure that you choose "fix" or "clean".
>>
>> Download PocketKkillbox from
>> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/killbox.exe
>> and put it on the desktop where you can find it easily
>>
>> Download, install, and run HiJackThis - it is one of the most >> important
>> tools to help clean your system of scumware. Follow the instructions
>> carefully:
>>
>> How to download and install HiJackThis: (it does not need to be
updated)
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict309.html
>>
>> Please DO NOT post your log to this newsgroup.  It is important that
you
> go
>> to one of the  HiJackThis Support Forums below and allow the experts
>> there
>> to analyze it for you.
>> AumHa HiJackThis Forum
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
>> or Bleeping Computer Forum
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
>> to allow the experts there to evaluate your log and advise you of any
>> necessary steps to clean your system.
>> (Note: You will have to Register before posting on these Forums.
Please

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406

>> How to Show Hidden Files
>> http://snipurl.com/6rl8
>>
>> Hope this helps :-)
>>
>> Jan :)
>> MS MVP - IE/OE
>> Smiles are meant to be shared,
>> that's why they're so contagious.
>>
>> Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other
>> readers.
>> How to make a good newsgroup post:
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> > Hi Jan :-)
>> >
>> > Unfortunately it does not appear to be the answer as I am running
> DirectX
>> > 9.0c. But thanks anyway for the idea.
>> >
>> > Flusters :-)
>> >
>> > "Jan Il" <abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> problem

> 00200040

  • Re: Blue Screen Crashes on XP install
    ... You could uninstall World of Warcraft and Spybot and then try running ... Install and run HijackThis: ... My original help request indicated that I'd tried a repair via recovery ... How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: system restore is not able to protect your computer
    ... now as far as going into the event viewer in safe mode i couldnt cause it ... Do you have a windows XP installation disc? ... You will have to do a repair or full reinstall of XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ddraw.dll error followed by iexplore closedown
    ... out of safe mode and ran all my usual protect programs (CCleaner, ... CWShredder,AdAwareSE,Spyware Blaster, SpyBot again, PC Bug Doctor). ... >>> The Internet Explorer Repair Tool ... In addition to updating and running your AV, download, ...
  • Re: .lnk Disabled
    ... Try starting in Safe Mode and then try to delete SDHelper.dll. ... Spybot S&D, but I do not have that option selected. ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... find this file to do a repair or replace this .lnk file? ...
  • Re: Blue Screen Crashes on XP install
    ... You have mentioned problems running Spybot and World of Warcraft. ... My original help request indicated that I'd tried a repair via recovery ... How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)