Re: internet connection continually downloading

From: Socrates (londonlinks-at-_at_london.com)
Date: 08/11/04

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:02:20 +0100

Hi and thanks.

This seems to be the culprit:

157.254.235.104
www.speedtouchdsl.com
Host unreachable

157.254.0.0 - 157.254.255.255

Thomson Consumer Electronic
10330 N. Meridian St
Indianapolis
IN
46290
United States

IT Security Team - Sek Chai
+1-317-587-3129
security@tce.com

NS1.TCE.COM
NS2.TCE.COM
INET-GW.INDY.TCE.COM

TCEIAMERICAS
Created: 1992-02-08
Updated: 1999-02-05
Source: whois.arin.net

I've got no idea why they would want to establish a connection to my
computer.

I also notice that on two ports 3017 and 3018, a connection has been made by
support2.microsoft.com. I do not have windows update turned on so I do not
know why Microsoft seems to be accessing my internet connection.

Any further explanations as to why my adsl connection continuous to download
bytes in the background?

--
If I can asssist further, please let me know.
Yours faithfully,
"Thomas Storm" <user@network.net> wrote in message
> > Hi - after trying to clear up my machine from the begin2search.com crap
> > which activates pop up windows galore every time I launch internet
> exlorer,
> > my internet connection seems to be continually downloading something.
> >
> > How is it possible to see what information is being dowloaded via the
> > adsl internet connection?
> >
> > I've run Norton anti-virus which says that the computer is "clean".
> >
> > I have almost downloaded 1 megabyte of something and it is still
> > intermittently downloading - so how do I know what it is?
>
> First thing you can do is get the IP address of the site from which you
are
> downloading.  Go to Start | Run and type in netstat -a -l (if you're
running
> Windows xp, you'll have to launch a command line window and type this in
> there, otherwise the window will disappear once the command is done).
Once
> you have the IP address go to http://ww1.arin.net/whois/ and type it into
> the search field at the top.  This will tell you who has ownership of that
> address.  After that, contact this owner (contact information is also
given
> to you) and demand to know what file is being uploaded to your machine.
> They are required by law to tell you.
> --
> Thomas J. Storm

Relevant Pages

  • LoveSan Virus
    ... "Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Call ... Turn on your Internet Connection Firewall ... and then click Network Connections. ... You can also configure Automatic Updates to automatically ...
  • Re: disabling Internet popup messages
    ... All versions of Windows since.. ... That is an Internet Web PopUp.. ... To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall ...
  • virus
    ... "Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Call ... your system and install the patch mentioned above. ... Turn on your Internet Connection Firewall ... You can also configure Automatic Updates to automatically ...
  • RE: blaster fix
    ... "Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Call ... your system and install the patch mentioned above. ... Turn on your Internet Connection Firewall ... You can also configure Automatic Updates to automatically ...
  • Restarts even after fixing blast