IE6 Will not Install

From: ke4tez (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/24/04

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 08:46:49 -0700

Did you try running repair for IE?

system
>>administrator.
>>This problem persists even though you have followed the
>>steps in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
>>822798 You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs
>>
>>CAUSE
>>This problem may occur if you install the security
patch
>>that is described in the following article in the
>>Microsoft Knowledge Base before you try to install
>>Internet Explorer 6 SP1:
>>823559 MS03-023: Buffer Overrun in the HTML Converter
>>Could Allow Code Execution
>>
>>WORKAROUND
>>To work around this problem, remove the KB823559
>security
>>patch, restart your computer, install Internet Explorer
>6
>>Service Pack 1, and then reinstall the KB823559
security
>>patch. To do this, follow these steps:
>>Quit all Windows programs.
>>Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
>>Click Add or Remove Programs.
>>Click Change or Remove Programs.
>>In the Currently installed programs list, click Windows
>>XP Hotfix - KB823559, and then click the Remove button.
>>After the security patch is removed, restart your
>>computer.
>>Log on to Windows XP, and then install Internet
Explorer
>>6 Service Pack 1 from the following Microsoft Download
>>Center Web site:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
>>FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-
>>20b602228de6&displaylang=en
>>
>>After Internet Explorer 6 SP1 is installed, reinstall
>the
>>KB823559 security patch. To do this, use one of the
>>following methods:
>>Method 1: Reinstall from the Windows Update Web Site
>>(Recommended)
>>
>>To reinstall the KB823559 security patch from the
>Windows
>>Update Web site, follow these steps:
>>Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click
>>Windows Update.
>>Click Scan for updates.
>>Click Add to add 823559: Security Update for Microsoft
>>Windows to your Selected Updates list.
>>Click Install Now.
>>
>>For additional information if you have problems
>accessing
>>the Windows Update Web site, click the following
article
>>number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
>>Base:
>>193385 WINUP: Problems When Viewing or Downloading From
>>Windows Update
>>
>>Method 2: Reinstall from the Microsoft Download Center
>>
>>To reinstall the KB823559 security patch from the
>>Microsoft Download Center, see the "Windows XP (all
>>versions)" section of the following article in the
>>Microsoft Knowledge Base:
>>823559 MS03-023: Buffer Overrun in the HTML Converter
>>Could Allow Code Execution

greatly
>>>appreciated. Thanks
>>>.
>>>
>>.
>>
>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I cant install critical updates
    ... I resolved error message problem from Vista Security Center by uninstalling and reinstalling Antivir. ... How it comes I can't either manage to install manually failing updates? ... Be sure to obtain the correct version for Windows x86. ... Windows Update Agent File Versions: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: I am having connectivity problems
    ... Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3 ... firewall and turned ON Windows firewall. ... When I tried to install SP2 I was unable to get it thru Windows Update. ...
  • Re: Hacked or.....Would appreciate expert help
    ... so you can install it after you've reformatted. ... > Connection Firewall (Windows Firewall) and turn it on. ... > to Windows Update, and get whatever security patches they have for you. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: SVCHost keeps crashing
    ... I'd mentioned previously that I had run virus scanning and anit-spyware ... installed after device drivers and windows patches. ... So the machine is not fully patched at Windows Update? ... I didn't do a repair install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I cant install critical updates
    ... Will ask the author about that, Maslow. ... Be sure to obtain the correct version for Windows x86. ... Windows Update Agent File Versions: ... Q. When you attempted to install the WUA did you reboot afterwards? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)