Re: Group Policy for hardened PCs

Hi Florian,

Thanks for your help here. We've managed to use the loopback processing mode
as you suggest and it all seems to work.
I think your original solution using 2/3 different OUs was somewhat over
complicated for us... but we've made it work using your basic concept.

For the benefit of others, we have left all our users and most of the
machines in the root of the AD (i.e. in the Users and Computers containers
respectively). These automatically pick up the default domain policy. I
realise this is not strictly best practice, but as I said in my earlier
mail, our structure is so simple, that creating lots of OUs really seems
unnecessary.

I've created a single OU (DevelopmentPCs) and put ONLY the Development PCs
in there (No users).
I've then created a policy assigned to this OU which has all the computer
AND user settings AND made it 'Loopback', using 'Force' mode. [As a
double-measure I've also told this OU not to inherit from above as I want
this policy to override the domain policy].

Now when I log in as ANYBODY on the development PC [even a Domain Admin],
the user settings for THAT PC apply.
If I log in as a developer on any other machine then the normal domain
policy applies... I.e. their admin PCs are NOT locker down.

So, even though the Developers are admins on the local machines, because
they log in as domain users, the GPO takes effect.
We've prevented them from running various applications, locked down IE to a
single site etc.... and they can't override that.

Only if they log in as the local administrator (i.e. NOT a domain user) can
they override any settings. As they don't have the local administrator
password (only admin rights from their domain login) they will NOT be able
to force any of our settings back to defaults.

This is just what we needed.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Jeff.

"Florian Frommherz [MVP]" <florian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message news:%23CRUFBeXIHA.4896@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Howdie Jeff!

Jeff Whitehead schrieb:
I've set up a new OU called Development and created a 'hardened' policy
in there with lots of tweaks to both the Computer Settings and User
Settings areas. [From what I can see, many of the IE policies we want...
proxy settings etc, are in the User section rather than Computer]. I've
then added the Development PC to this Development OU.

I'd go for a different approach. Create two three OUs: one OU for the
developer users, one for the developer machines and one for the admin
machines. In those OUs, you put the corresponding objects: user accounts
into the developer users OU and so on.

Since most of your "hardening" policies are user configuration settings
but you'd like to have it applied to the developement machine, you'd
configure them on the developer machines OU (under user configuration) and
activate "Loopback processing mode". Loopback makes the machines apply the
user configuration side of the policies that are in their scope (whereas
they'd normally just ignore the user portion and only apply the computer
side). Like that, all users, no matter who, will get the "hardened"
settings you configure.

Loopback processing:
http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog/?p=22
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/distrib/dsec_pol_kcmb.mspx?mfr=true

For those other two OUs you created, just make your settings in the
corresponding configuration sides (user config for the developer users OU,
computer settings for the admin machine OU).

1) To enable the specific user settings in this policy to be pushed onto
the Development PC, I assume I will need to move the Developer's user
accounts from the 'USers' container into the Development OU. Correct?

Yes and no. If there is a user configuration setting in a GP that is
linked to the Development PC and you move a user account into that OU, the
Group Policy will apply. But it doesn't "stick" to the machine as the
settings you made in that GP would apply to an admin pc if the user logged
on there.

If so, then anything I put in the user settings, will then also apply to
their Admin PC? Correct?

Correct.

We really need a config where the same user can log onto two different
machines. One is locked down, and the other is not.
We thought of creating a second login for everybody, but that could
become difficult to manage.

This is what loopback is for. Just have a look at that. No need for a
second login.

2) Unfortunately, there is a 'bug' in one of the development tools that
they use, which means users must be Administrators on their Development
PCs.

If I make a user an administrator on their Development PC, does that mean
that they can override all the Group Policy settings I apply? E.g.
judging by some of the docs in the GPO editor, it looks as if they may be
able to change IE settings etc if they are an admin?

Yes, they can - admins can do everything on their boxes. You can try to
make it harder for them to get around your restrictions (like prohibiting
the execution of cmd or regedit), but they basically can "undo" the
changes - at least for the moment. Policy settings get re-enforced,
"re-applied" every 90 minutes (+ a random offset of a max of 30 minutes)
so their changes would be reverted back to what the policy says from time
to time.

cheers,

Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Group Policy.
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.

  • Re: Aftermath of RDIRCMP.EXE?
    ... We are going to try creating a new OU, putting the machines in there, ... with Deny Read and Deny Apply Group Policy permissions on the Default Domain ... Ok, check the policy settings that you want (as I already said, some ... policies only work at domain level, ...
  • Re: Securing Enterprise Policy from local admins
    ... > Admin is admin. ... >> All the .NET Framework security policy docs on the website speak to the ... >> has full control of the security settings through the machine policy. ... >> enterprise policy is intended to be managed at the enterprise and is why ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: Replaing "lockdown" PCs with GPO
    ... local policy settings before letting GP manage the machine. ... know that the local machines policy is "default" otherwise we might always ... >> ddefault setting for all of the user configuration options? ...
  • Re: Machine Policy not being applied
    ... Is this software installed everywhere or just on a few machines? ... settings that applies everywhere. ... >> The bottom line is that the computer account does not have permissions to ... >> read/apply the policy like they do with the Default Domain Policy. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Deploying network settings via Group policy
    ... Do you mean that you replace W2k pro machines, ... The policies for setting DNS is a ... may have an approach via policy. ... machines have wrong dns and wims settings - is anyone aware of a way ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)