Re: How to configure local PC group membership via Group Policy?

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply. I can't get my head around how this works (or get it
to work for that matter :(

The server is a W2003 Server, with WXP Clients.
I create a new GPO and call it say RestrictedGroups.
I Edit RestrictedGroups (Computer Configuration / Windows Settings /
Security Settings / Restricted Groups)
There are three configuration points here;
First is Add Group (I'm assuming I need to create a security group
for this purpose first and browse to it here)
So let's just say I created a security group called TestRG, and have
browsed to and selected it here
Next is members of this group
Again I can browse to a Domain based security group or user and add
them in here
Finally 'This group is a member of'
I can only browse to Domain based groups here, not local groups?

What I want to be able to do is make a Domain level Security Group a member
of a Local Built In Windows XP Security Group on a selection of Windows XP
computers (based on OU membership) from the server via Group Policy. From
what I have read researching Restricted Groups this seems to be the way to
do it but I seem to be missing something as it doesn't seem to be working.
The members and the members of that I am configuring just aren't working?

Help..!!

Thanks Simon

--
Kind Regards

Shane
SME IT Solutions
Email: mailto:shane@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Simon Geary" <simon_geary@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> You can use restricted groups to do this.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=228496
>
> "Shane@smeIT" <shane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know how to do this?
>>

>> Basically I want to be able to configure local security group membership
>> on Windows XP PC's via Group Policy from a Windows 2003 Server.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Kind Regards
>>

>> Shane
>> SME IT Solutions
>> Email: mailto:shane@xxxxxxxxxxxx

  • FQDN Required to Access Resources
    ... Windows 2003 for a small office. ... DNS lives on all DCs ... Same goes for intranet addresses that use the server name: ... but is happening on ALL systems that are not members of the domain. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Group Policy
    ... As a matter of fact Lanwench, I should have posted this inquiry in Windows ... Server group, as I was actually talking about AD environment. ... machine on members of the ... AD = Active Directory. ...
  • role/group authorization not recognizing user groups.
    ... My application does not allow anonymous access, and integrated windows ... I have verified the users are members of the groups and that host is ... aware of the groups (double checked by restarting the server.. ... My development machine is an XP SP2 machine and the IIS server is a ...
  • Re: FQDN Required to Access Resources
    ... > DNS lives on all DCs (only, no member server have DNS). ... > This only seems to be happening on SOME systems that are members of ... From a non-working client ... Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services Security Is Like An Onion, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Mac client on 2k3 server
    ... They can get to the server OK, ... I'd say it's better to control access security and such from the Windows ... department, create users for that department, add them to the security group, ...