Re: AD and policies affecting User

From: Roger Abell [MVP] (mvpNoSpam_at_asu.edu)
Date: 08/17/04

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:08:45 -0700

Not sure what all you have going on, but here is some info.

Only admins of a machine can alter its network settings, or in
a default config install drivers.

I would strongly suggest that you define new GPOs and make
your settings there rather than in either of the default GPOs
that come with initial istall - and - this is especially true for
experiments. It is much more simple to unlink or remove a
GPO you defined than to find a setting you made in error and
need to reverse. Another reason is that they you can use the
utilities to reset the default GPOs to their default settings.

When you set something on the local machine using a GPO
setting, then the local admin cannot change that, or if they can
then it is only temporary. Hence, only apply settings that you
do want unavailable to the machine local admin.

--
Roger Abell
MCDBA,  MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4