Re: Unable to access hosts by name across a PPTP VPN connection

On Jun 7, 9:24 am, "Sooner Al [MVP]" <Soone...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
<elvis_costell...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

For a small home LAN editing the lmhosts file and distributing it to one or
two clients should not be a big burden given the file will only change if
you happen to add or delete a desktop on your LAN. How many remote clients
and desktops on your home LAN do you have? Keeping in mind that XP (Pro or
Home) will only accept one incoming VPN connection at a time using the
built-in PPTP VPN server function I think your blowing this all out of
proportion unless this is a learning experience of some kind.

If you have a great many remote VPN clients and more than four or five or so
desktops on your local LAN you may need to start looking at a server class
OS like Small Business Server (SBS) or Windows 2008 (now in beta) or Windows
2003.

It all depends on what your trying to accomplish, IMHO...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
rights...
How to ask a questionhttp://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Hi Al,

Again, I really appreciate the response. This is a combination of me
wanting to learn more about configuring MS VPNs and also solving some
practical problems I have. Hope this doesn't come across as too
academic, but to me these are also real problems that NetBIOS would
solve that LMHOSTS won't, frankly. I'd really like to know how to
forward NetBIOS traffic across the MS VPN to satisfy my learning goals
and also make administering my VPN a bit more automatic and easier at
the same time. The long descriptions above are just me trying to be
very detailed about my reservations about LMHOSTS, not a complete
dismissal of the idea ;-). LMHOSTS is certainly is easier to setup in
many ways and in many cases, but, IMO for my network, requires more
work for me to administer as new machines are added to my local
network and as new machines are used as VPN clients. It's clear to me
this additional administration work will definitely generate problems
for me (since I can't be there all the time to make sure everything
runs smoothly) and also will be frustrating to the people I'm trying
to provide access to (e.g. "why doesn't Paul's laptop appear in My
Network Places?? - Paul's laptop just connected to your home network
and I'm logged into the VPN" or "why can't Jim's home laptop see
Sally's files in My Network Places? - Sally's using some random
university desktop as a VPN client and she's just logged in - whatdya
mean we'll have to wait 'til you're off work to do this??!?").

The best way to characterise my VPN usage is that I'll have a
relatively small number of VPN user accounts and (for now) a
corresponding small number of people using these accounts and a low
number of simultaneous connections (for now, so 1 max is OK - and it's
also a learning experience), but I'll have a relatively large number
of machines I'll need to support as VPN clients. One big current goal
is to have any remote machine configured to behave as a VPN client
just show up in My Network Places after it logs in. On the local
side, I have 5 machines and occasionally have some laptops come in and
out of the network. The overall goal is to make it very very
incredibly mind-numbingly simple to transfer files between any remote
machine to any local machine, regardless of whether it's a laptop,
PDA, desktop and (eventually, but definitely not until I have Windows
Home VPN client to Windows Home VPN server connections working)
regardless of OS as I have Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows Home Edition,
and Windows Mobile Second Edition machines so far. This latter reason
has me very motivated to make most changes on my VPN server only to
minimize the need to account for differences on the VPN client
systems. In other words, I don't have a simple network. We're a
combination of musicians, coffee junkies, tech geeks, math nerds,
etc. and we've all got our own situations where we gotta transfer
files and some people want to use My Network Places instead of toting
around lists of IP addresses :).

I'll keep looking around. Hope there's a solution out there. If I
get this working I'll post the step by step to help out anyone else.
Best regards.

  • Re: Vista, SBS 2003 and RAS not working
    ... We have a windows SBS 2003 server – straight out of the box, ... The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not ... You mention that the clients are Vista machines, which means that their built-in firewall works on outgoing messages as well as incoming ones, and the firewall needs to be told that outgoing PPTP VPN connections should be allowed. ... Computers don't need to be joined to the domain to connect by VPN, by the way, so you can use other remote computers for testing, it's just that only domain machines get access to all network resources easily. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: SBS 2003 VPN issue through ISA
    ... The XP clients and the TS are in the same network and same domain. ... connections are established from the clients themselves using Cisco VPN ... appears ISA is somehow dropping the connection according to the logs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: VPN and XP SP2 woes
    ... Stock MS VPN, ... Employer's network is NT. ... >> Is your VPN connection using only Microsoft software or is it third ... >>> with both machines and the results were identical. ...
  • How to setup VPNING on Windows XP
    ... 3.Click on "Create a connection to the network at your workplace". ... 8.If you want to add the VPN connection shortcut to your desktop, then check the appropriate check box and click on "Finish" button to complete the VPN connection Wizard. ... I'm running Windows 2000 server and have 4 client PC's on a local network. ... The server provides addresses via DHCP to the clients. ...
  • Re: Vista clients became unresponsive after network move
    ... Are all machines correct registered in the DNS zones? ... the rest of the clients ... since they have a new network connection. ... for few minutes before it starts to shutdown ...