Re: Can I set XP video resolution to 640x480

"Metspitzer" <kilowatt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:23:44 -0000, "M.I.5¾"
<no.one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"metspitzer" <metspitzer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a old machine with a Nvidia 6600ish video card.

I would like to use a TV for a second monitor. When I pick the dual
display, the lowest resolution choice is 800x600.

When I boot the machine, the TV will display the Windows start up
screen. After the machine boots, the TV displays....unusable signal.

I assume the TV can only display 640x480. Can I set XP to a lower
resolution.

Even when I use Nvidia's TV wizard, the min resolution is 800x600.

The correct resolution for TV display is 720x480 if you are in the US and
720x576 elsewhere.

You will find that a TV set is a poor choice for a computer monitor.

I want it to watch BBC clips. It worked fine when I was driving it
with my laptop.

Can you tell me how to set the computer to this resolution using a
Nvidia 6600 card please?

The Resolution of 800x600 is for S-Video connections.
Your graphics card when configured for TV out, defaults to the
S-Video output and that specific resolution.

What I suspect is you may want to connect a second "display"
being your TV set, in which you may have other connections
such as VGA, DVI or even HDMI in which case you need to opt
for "twin monitor" or "Twin display" mode, not "TV out".
You also probably require an uptodate driver for your graphics card.
If indeed your TV set has VGA or DVI etc, do not configure "TV out"
but visit the Nvidia site, click support and download the latest driver
for that model and read the pdf guide for that card.
Note when connecting a TV set via VGA, DVI or HDMI, only the HDMI
connection will carry an audio signal as well, for the other connections
you will have to make seperate audio feeds.
If your graphics card has only S-Video output, the only resolution you
can get via that connection is 800x600, also S-Video only carries
the video signal, seperate audio connections have to made to hear sound.

  • Re: Dual Monitors
    ... On the DVI connection you need to set the display to a resolution that the ... Most TV's will allow different resolutions over analog connections then the ... I've just bought a 32" LCD TV, and want to use it as a second monitor. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Optimum Display Resolution (to CRT Television over S-Video)
    ... display) over an S-Video cable from the Inno3d Graphics card. ... best picture quality of a DVB-T broadcast? ... for this display is configured for "I/PAL" and the resolution is set ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Digital Osci and Logic Analyzer
    ... The higher sampling rates of the examples you ... would the o'scope display at 1 usec/div'n? ... time soon) and I have a probe that works properly with the ADC. ... however many samples are collected at whatever resolution ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: monitor for macmini mb139ll/a
    ... $150 worth of cables. ... It would plug in, since that monitor uses DVI, but you would get the ... 2560x1600 native resolution of the display. ... You cannot get that resolution out of your Mac Mini. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc)
  • RE: Problem in setting Display resolution from TD
    ... I do not see the display resolution settings from TD ... driver so it means the driver is working fine in Windows XP Prof.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)