Re: REGISTRY ERRORS

"jan" <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:5397620E-EAB5-4C24-A5DD-8B4256D4600D@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I HAD TO DO A SYSTEM RESTORE, THE REGISTRY WOULDN'T COMPLETE.
COMPUTER WORKS, BUT I'm getting dozens of "messenger
service" warnings to go to different sites to clean. I won't
go to the sites, but I want the pop up warnings to stop. I
can't get them off the screen, they come right back thanks,
jan

What you're experiencing is called Messenger Spam. The best way
to prevent it is to install Service Pack 2 or a firewall such
as Zone Alarm. You can use the workaround outlined in this
article but all you're doing is masking the symptoms instead of
fixing the problem.

Messenger Service window that contains an Internet
advertisement appears
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904

Here's more info on the subject.

Messenger Service Spam
http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_messengerspam.php

Learn How to Block Messenger Spam
http://www.re-quest.net/computers/messenger-spam/

Good luck

Nepatsfan

  • Re: Windows Messenger Spying
    ... >several warnings - "Windows Messenger is trying to monitor your mouse ...
  • Re: I think I found how to kill messenger without a firewall
    ... and are thankful for having a smoke alarm to have warned you about it. ... If one is receiving messenger spam, ... > Windows messenger spam is annoying, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Stop-Sign Threat Scanner
    ... Does the window title say anything about Messenger? ... 'Messenger spam', is not in itself harmful, but is symptomatic of ... For a standalone machine, see www.sygate.com for a free personal firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Messenger Service
    ... My friend, if you're getting popup messenger spam, you have larger problems. ... You need a firewall. ... protection from the Internet. ...
  • Re: Messenger Spam at start up
    ... The messenger spam has been going on for at least a year now, ... > 1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?" ...