Re: Search Assistant File Missing

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Click on the ? Icon to Expand

[?] Why doesn't Search work?

Among other things, addresses this:
Error: "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You
may need to run setup".

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C7682111-F993-4D07-8E1C-096746EBD4BD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
ecaii <ecaii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
When trying to run search assistant in either Windows Explorer or My
Computer I get a message that a file needed to run search assistant is
missing and I may need to run setup again. However, I can't run setup
from my Windows XP cd because I've since downloaded and installed Service
Pack 2. When I tried to run it from the cd, I got a message saying that
I'm running a newer version of XP than what's on the cd and setup can't
run.

When I try and re-download Service Pack 2 from the Microsoft website, it
doesn't allow me to since I'm already running the software. I just get a
message that all updates for my computer are installed.

Does anybody have any suggestions for how I can run setup to retrieve the
missing files?

  • Re: XP fresh install on a notebook
    ... setup GUI I have a problem. ... don't have any floppy drives. ... This makes me think my CD rom drivers need to be installed first ... When you got the missing files message is that before or after setup has ...
  • Re: IE 6 download
    ... necessary to remove IE before repairing or reinstalling it. ... > because files are missing from the installation ... Please run setup again and choose "Resume ... This will install the missing files and continue ...
  • IE 6 download
    ... Then during installation, I received the ... Please run setup again and choose "Resume ... This will install the missing files and continue ... Choosing "okay" automatically rebooted my computer. ...
  • RE: Trouble installing IE6
    ... When Itry to get around by going to MS Windows Update ... >You will now be able to install all the troublesome ... I get an error message telling me Setup cannot ... This will download the missing files ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup)
  • IE 6.0 Download