Re: How to run the devcon.exe utility?

devcon.exe is not in a folder that is in the PATH.

Move devcon.exe to the C:\WINNT\system32 folder and then it should work.

C:\WINNT\Temp\i386 is not in the path and at some point everything in
C:\WINNT\Temp is going to be deleted as Temp means Temporary.

To see what folders are in your PATH...
Open a command prompt, type: path and hit your Enter key.

Path is a search path for executable files. If an executable file is not in
the PATH you would have to type the entire path in order to get an .exe file
to run.

I.e. C:\WINNT\Temp\i386\devcon.exe

Hope this helps. Let us know.

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:60DFE177-6C59-4EA0-A01F-E4C459ACA481@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
cyber12 <cyber12@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
No it did not run
command prompt message back is:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>devcon.exe help
'devcon.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."
The devcon utility was unzipped to "C:\WINNT\Temp\i386"
What can be infered from this problem?
Any help?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

Does this command work for you?

devcon.exe help

Hope this helps. Let us know.

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:8C2365D0-4263-49C1-BE15-9971BF3C07A3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
cyber12 <cyber12@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
I downloaded The DevCon command-line utility from Microsoft article ID
311272 to troubleshoot a printer and to remove another printer driver
from a LPT1 port. The problem is that I can not understand the proper
syntax to using DevCon as explained in the article to run the utility
from command prompt. Any one's help to run this utility is welcomed.
This article applies to Windows XP Driver Development Kit and I don't
have that in my XP Home Ed OS. Is this the reason that it doesn't run
on the command prompt?