System hangs booting from cloned disk

I have a somewhat strange setup and am finding it difficult to clone.

I had Windows 98 and added Windows XP and Linux so now I have

disk 1:

| C: WIN98 BOOT (FAT32)| J: XPHOME BOOT (NTFS) | K: DATA3 (NTFS) |
| PRIMARY PARTITION | LOGICAL PARTITION | LOGICAL PARTITION |

disk 2:

| LINUX BOOT | D: DATA (NTFS) | LINUX SWAP | LINUX ROOT |
| PHYS PARTN | PHYS PARTN | PHYS PARTN | PHYS PARTN |

disk 3:

-----------------
| E: DATA2 (NTFS) |
| PHYS PARTN |
-----------------

My main drive (disk1) is throwing up some errors every now and again so I
got a new drive (same size 120GB) and wanted to copy the data. I have
successfully copied the C: partition but am having problems copying J:. I
have tried doing a restore to an NTFS formatted partition from my Maxtor
Onetouch II backups (files only), I have booted to Linux (Mandrake 9.0) and
done a dd and I have bought Ghost 9.0 and copied the partition whilst booted
into XP (Ghost 9.0 apparently supports copying the boot partition for XP). It
all seems to work until I try to boot from the new drive. It seems to start
up and then just hangs at the screen saying that Windows is starting (just
before the login prompt/screen appears).

The problem seems to be that I cannot assign the drive letter J: to the
newly copied partition and so when it starts it tries to assign it a new
letter (which isn't J:) the boot process then just halts at that screen.

I've tried booting in safe mode (which I would think avoids using drive
letters for the important stuff) but it just hangs. I'm anxious to complete
the transfer before my main drive dies.

I have also installed XP on another disk and then went in and change the
drive letter for the normal XP boot partition.That doesn't help (I presume
because the drive letter is associated with the XP installation rather than
the partition itself)

Any ideas?

  • Re: Can someone else help? Was changing partition size.
    ... with one hard drive, that Windows 98 does not list. ... My Computer still does not list the partition that has ... two hard drives. ... This should fix the boot sector on the C: drive and allow you to boot ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Can someone else help? Was changing partition size.
    ... Windows 98 to boot up. ... My Computer still does not list the partition that has ... This should fix the boot sector on the C: drive and allow you to boot ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Can I boot of an XP System disk, nested in a logical volume
    ... I'll boot of Partition Magic or some other kind of magic and fix it that-a-way. ... It's been a long time since I messed with partitions like this, but in the back of my head I have this fragment about boring registry hands-on editing, 'derived Disk ID's' and the 'Master Boot Sector' -- that's S as in 'Senile'. ... One reason for the drive letter change on cloned drives is to keep the parent drive hooked up the first time the clone is booted, being that the clone has the same Mount Manager database, and being that the Mount Manager *always* respects drive letter assignments, it will see the parent drive and its valid disk signature and assign the C: drive letter to the original C: drive, so there will be no C: letter available for the clone. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • fixing grub : mbr fix when windows install after linux
    ... "There is not a boot manager screen at all, ... windows but GRUB boot window does not appear. ... "I forgot to install GRUB, I didn't install GRUB in the MBR, I chose ... Fedora but that was not an active primary partition". ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Can someone else help? Was changing partition size.
    ... partition and the files, but not now. ... Windows 98 to boot up. ... This should fix the boot sector on the C: drive and allow you to boot ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)