Re: Installing Windows XP over Windows 98

I would do a Dual Boot if you have room on your hard drive. You can
always remove Win98 after XP is installed. Do a
System Compatibility Check also. Otherwise put the files on a CD if
you have a Burner.
"Carib" <Carib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I just received Windows XP full version (not upgrade) as a gift. I'm
>running
> Windows 98 right now and want to know if I can save some files & programs
> or
> do I lose everything upon installation. I understand that if this was the
> upgrade version I could transfer what I wanted to XP, but what about the
> full
> version?

  • Re: Purchase XP, where and which version?
    ... previous Windows installation (onto a newly formatted hard drive in this ... are not stand alone Windows 98 install disks AFSIK.) ... Then run the XP upgrade CD ... then there may be little downside to a clean installation for you. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to Repair Office Installation w/o Program Launch?
    ... If your current product is an upgrade version you ... are REQUIRED to retain the qualifying product as a part of your upgrade ... The only way to complete the installation ... I need to detect and repair my Office ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)
  • Re: upgrade to Windows XP professional
    ... First the problem The install makes it through the "collecting information" and Dynamic Upgrade" sections. ... If you turn off all of WinXP GUI eye-candy, it will still be very slow, but it might be usable for simple word processing, email, web-browsing, etc. ... But I'm not sure how easy that would be to do with an upgrade CD rather than a new installation CD. ... This information will be found at the PC's manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Upgrading to XP w/SP2 from 98SE, via boot of CD
    ... They, or equivalent XP versions, can be reinstalled once the upgrade is ... If you've decided to bite the bullet and go with a clean installation of XP, ... To let you know more of what I use on my comp, and do, I figured I'd give you ... off everything, including the antivirus program, while upgrading. ...