Re: Lexmark X5470 printer not communicating with computer

lensgaga wrote:
After three Microsoft techs, the solution that I dreaded was the only fix.....re-install Windows XP! They determined that the Vista drivers were basically the default for the printer, no matter what we did with XP drivers. I asked WHY my XP would allow Vista drivers to be installed in the first place, that some sort of warning should appear. They said that Vista is 'close enough' to XP that the system can't recognize they are incompatible.....?? The Vista drivers made a catastrophic change in hidden files, registry keys that even all the deleting they did, they were not able to find the correct ones to delete.

Well, I'm happy to report that my all-in-one is working just fine now. I reloaded Windows, was able to clean up my computer, so it wasn't ALL bad. Take it from me though...BE VERY CAREFUL when you download drivers for your printer!!

"Lem" wrote:

lensgaga wrote:
Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, I have done all of those things as well. I actually had found the information in the second link you provided earlier today and followed all those steps. Still no communication.

"Lem" wrote:

lensgaga wrote:
I mistakenly downloaded Vista drivers from Lexmark.com to my XP computer. My printer could not communicate with my computer at that time. I had installed the Vista drivers 'as another copy of the drivers' per the Lexmark setup screen. My printer would not work so I downloaded the XP drivers and installed 'updating my existing drivers (recommended)' per the setup screen.

No communication since the initial installation. I have deleted drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, replaced the USB cable, tried installing my old printer to see if it would work (it didn't). 5 Lexmark techs and 1 Microsoft tech later...no luck.

Something from that initial Vista driver download has caused this problem and no one can find the solution. HELP!
Clean out the printer drivers using the advice here from MS-MVP Cari: http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm

If that doesn't work, try these somewhat more comprehensive directions from MS-MVP Bruce Sanderson: http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

See notes re Lexmark printers on the Bruce Sanderson's page.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Perhaps something happened to your USB hub/ports.

Generally, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

First, make sure that Device Manager will show "ghost" devices:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

If you have any leftover printer entries in Device Manager, remove them. Reboot. Now try adding the printer.

If that didn't work, you can try removing all of the USB controllers and hubs. There is a catch, however, you don't want to remove ALL of these if you ONLY have a USB keyboard and/or mouse. When you re-boot, you won't have any input device, and Windows will not proceed.

If you can find a PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse, use it for the following procedure.

Restart in Safe Mode

Remove all USB devices (except USB keyboard and/or mouse) from the Device Manager in the following order:

Devices
HID and/or Composite USB
USB Root Hub(s)
USB Host Controller(s)

Physically unplug all USB devices (except keyboard and/or mouse)

Shutdown and reboot

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Thanks for the update. Glad you got things working.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking