Re: Lexmark X5470 printer not communicating with computer

After three Microsoft techs, the solution that I dreaded was the only
fix.....re-install Windows XP! They determined that the Vista drivers were
basically the default for the printer, no matter what we did with XP drivers.
I asked WHY my XP would allow Vista drivers to be installed in the first
place, that some sort of warning should appear. They said that Vista is
'close enough' to XP that the system can't recognize they are
incompatible.....?? The Vista drivers made a catastrophic change in hidden
files, registry keys that even all the deleting they did, they were not able
to find the correct ones to delete.

Well, I'm happy to report that my all-in-one is working just fine now. I
reloaded Windows, was able to clean up my computer, so it wasn't ALL bad.
Take it from me though...BE VERY CAREFUL when you download drivers for your
printer!!

"Lem" wrote:

lensgaga wrote:
Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, I have done all of those
things as well. I actually had found the information in the second link you
provided earlier today and followed all those steps. Still no communication.

"Lem" wrote:

lensgaga wrote:
I mistakenly downloaded Vista drivers from Lexmark.com to my XP computer.
My printer could not communicate with my computer at that time. I had
installed the Vista drivers 'as another copy of the drivers' per the Lexmark
setup screen. My printer would not work so I downloaded the XP drivers and
installed 'updating my existing drivers (recommended)' per the setup screen.

No communication since the initial installation. I have deleted drivers,
uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, replaced the USB cable, tried
installing my old printer to see if it would work (it didn't). 5 Lexmark
techs and 1 Microsoft tech later...no luck.

Something from that initial Vista driver download has caused this problem
and no one can find the solution. HELP!
Clean out the printer drivers using the advice here from MS-MVP Cari:
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm

If that doesn't work, try these somewhat more comprehensive directions
from MS-MVP Bruce Sanderson:

See notes re Lexmark printers on the Bruce Sanderson's page.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Perhaps something happened to your USB hub/ports.

Generally, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

First, make sure that Device Manager will show "ghost" devices:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

If you have any leftover printer entries in Device Manager, remove them.
Reboot. Now try adding the printer.

If that didn't work, you can try removing all of the USB controllers and
hubs. There is a catch, however, you don't want to remove ALL of these
if you ONLY have a USB keyboard and/or mouse. When you re-boot, you
won't have any input device, and Windows will not proceed.

If you can find a PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse, use it for the following
procedure.

Restart in Safe Mode

Remove all USB devices (except USB keyboard and/or mouse) from the
Device Manager in the following order:

Devices
HID and/or Composite USB
USB Root Hub(s)
USB Host Controller(s)

Physically unplug all USB devices (except keyboard and/or mouse)

Shutdown and reboot

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  • Re: printing
    ... To install USB device with Virtual PC: ... Installation or reinstallation of the USB printer: ... bar menus then tools then Windows Update. ... 2-1 It is necessary to download the last drivers and to install them. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc)
  • Xilinx Impact cable not found
    ... required drivers) and the ISE10.1 design suite ... I followed instructions for installation as provided in the manual. ... The Platform Cable USB is not detected. ... New Hardware Wizard', then retry the Cable Setup operation. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • "Paradoxical" Windows USB Drivers Problem
    ... Problem - several USB devices have failed, ... (both used Windows USB drivers). ... for SP3 installation CD which I don't have (only PC Angel ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: External Hard Drive Not Recognized
    ... > The first USB case I bought called for master on the drive. ... > the drivers from the web site. ... >> that it found some new hardware and said that it was a USB to IDE ... >> installation procedure for the external hard drive again. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • USB Serial Converter problems
    ... I am trying to connect to the radio with a USB to serial converter cable. ... The USB converter cable was supplied by the radio manufacturer. ... I suspect that there are some old drivers on the laptop from previous versions of "Street Atlas" and /or "Palm Desktop" which both used a USB to serial converter at one time, and these old drivers are preventing the installation of the newer drivers for the radio software. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)