Re: Deleting folders with Zb thumbnail.info files

From: Todd (t.furniss_at_att.net)
Date: 05/09/04

Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 19:42:14 -0700

John: Your suggestion of going to Safe Mode and deleting the files dis
the job with no fuss. Thanks very much. (By the way, I tracked down only
one Thumbs.db file in my whole Local Disk C:, and it wasn't in one of
the folders I was trying to get rid of.)
One star for John.

John Inzer wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>
>>Trying to clean up my photo files, I've deleted or
>>transferred the image files (.jpg) out of a dozen
>>folders, but I am not allowed to delete the folders
>>because there's a single "Zd thumbnail.info" file in each
>>one and I get the message "cannot delete Zb thumbnail: it
>>is being used by another person or program. Close any
>>programns that might be using the file and try again."
>>I've looked at all instance Windows Explorer of 'Zd
>>thumbnail.info" files and can't locate "another person or
>>program". I'm stuck. Any helpo out there??

> In a folder that contains image files...with...View /
> Thumbnails...selected...a Thumbs.db file that contains
> the thumbnail info is generated by Windows XP.
>
> Unless you open a folder and go to...Tools / Folder
> Options / View tab...and select..."Show Hidden Files
> and Folders" / Apply / OK.....You will not see these files.
>
> Maybe...you cannot delete the folders because the
> Thumbs.db file cannot find the images that you moved.
> (I'm just guessing because I have not been able to
> reproduce the behavior you described)
>
> Anyway...you may be able to delete the folders after
> a restart. If not...you might try booting in Safe Mode
> and delete them from there.
>
> (315222) A Description of the Safe Mode
> Boot Options in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315222
>
> Here's an article that may be useful:
>
> What is thumbs.db
> http://tinyurl.com/g4dt

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Unable to change drive letters
    ... folders but there is nothg but folders in the roots of both partitions. ... "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot ... John Doue ... look at the root of the other drive (c if I understand and tell us ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: .net Temp Files?
    ... Tried the delete, mormal mode and safe mode, no success. ... Did you run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor? ... To install and run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor, ... did you move the folders while in Safe Mode? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: WinXP Backup Utility problems
    ... began to selectively restore data files using the utility to ... restored folders, neither would now open. ... tried to open/delete the folders using safe mode command ... shared folder in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: My folders Wont Open!
    ... If your folders open in Safe Mode, but won't open when Windows starts normally, then something you have installed that starts with Windows may be causing the problem. ...
  • Re: WinXP Backup Utility problems
    ... Under the Advanced Restore Options, ... I tried to delete the folders, ... using safe mode command prompt. ... shared folder in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)