Re: MS Update #KB960859 keeps "installing" over and over + other p

On Sep 4, 1:00 pm, Colin Cook <Colin C...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I tried downloads and so called fixes today that being the SuperAnti Spyware
and MalwareBytes etc and ran the programs as suggested. As I feared they tell
me in order to achieve a full PC repair I need to buy the Pro version. I
already have the full paid for version of Regcure that I run about twice
weekly which seems to do the same thing. After running the
SuperAntiSpyware/Malwarebytes, rebooted etc as instructed, I ran my Regcure
software and it told me I had several hundred low and medium level
faults.....seems the other suggested programs did very little as free
versions .

Now after spending a lot of time trying to sort out this annoying KB960859
update problem it still still keeps returning every time I log on no matter
how many times a day. Now another problem has occurred....the software
suggested refuses to uninstall, really frustrated !
I think I'll definately buy a Mac next computer upgrade

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:
Bob Cmil wrote:
I am using Win XP SP3.  This problem is happening more often
lately.  When it does occur, it's from a cold boot.  I use my login
and the screen comes up with just the wallpaper.  The mouse works.
The keyboard works. I can get Task Manager by CTRL-ALT-DELETE,
which I use to restart the PC.  When I restart, the PC comes up
  fine.  The PC seems to think it's running fine. Another thing I
can report that's happening is Windows Explorer has been crashing
on me too.  Not often.  But I'll get a message saying Windows
Explorer was shut down to protect the computer.  Is this related?
  (Yeah, I still like using Win Explorer.)  May or may not be
related. Finally, MS Update #KB960859 keeps "installing". It seems
to happen once
a day. Related problem? Symptom?

(It took me FOREVER to find out somewhere I could ask this
question, and I STILL don't know if I'm in the right place.  I used
to email a Microsoft help person and would get an answer in a day
or two.  Now it's 59 BUCKS JUST TO ASK A QUESTION?????  DELL won't
help either - "sir, you have a "hardware warranty" and not a
"software warranty".  Jerks.)

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Now if I can only find my way
back here to check the answers...

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows
Server Update Services installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

Tried this...?

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B....

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive.  After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

CHKDSK
 How to scan your disks for errors
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
 * will take time

Defragment
 How to Defragment your hard drives
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
 * will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
    manufacturer's respective web pages.)

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visithttp://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it.  You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.  Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones fornow.  I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates.  Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

WRONG! There are the free versions of the two tools and they work
well.

As for Regcure, this falls into the registry clean-up tools catagory.
It must be noted that all registry clean-up tools can / will render
the Windows Registry damaged or corrupt. You must use extreme care
when you decide to use one.

  • Re: Swap file
    ... If you have a clean install of Windows XP with no other programs installed, ... Its only while using Explorer I got problem. ... My question was how to clean the swap file as Windows cannot manage it? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Explorer crashing on context menu
    ... that explorer refused start at all) so back to SP1. ... Does 'Checksum' mean checksum in windows executable header? ... > to what you are reporting. ... > to install free ShellExView and to try disabling these ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: spyware on macs ?
    ... 2x Explorer to replace Explorer --these three ... upgrade install from CD like everyone else? ... You can still download the updates. ... His instructions are for Windows 2000 but things are hardly any ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Removing File From Desktop.
    ... Question: In Windows Explorer, can you see the file at these locations?: ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... that can be copied/pasted into a forum that can provide assistance on ... even get a chance to install: ...
  • Re: Windows version of Biber .5
    ...    but there is no README.txt in that .zip. ... Ubuntu but not on Windows. ... Choose the link that corresponds to your version of Perl ... users don't have to install perl and all the various dependencies. ...
    (comp.text.tex)