Re: Debug Dump Files and Setup Log Files in Disk Cleanup window

"Debug dump files" are copies of the contents of your computer's memory. When a program crashes, it will sometimes "dump" some or all of the contents of RAM to a file on your hard disk. The file is only useful to a technical support person who is trying to understand why the program crashed. (Most tech support people have no clue what to do with a dump file.)

Unless you've been asked to submit a dump file for inspection, feel free to get rid of them.

Setup log files are files that "log" a program's installation. If you look at one (they're really just text files - open with Notepad) you'll see that they give a blow-by-blow description of how the program was installed, in glorious detail.

If a program did not install properly, the setup log will tell you what went wrong. If you haven't had an install go badly, feel free to ditch these files as well.

On the question of how much free disk space is enough...there are no standards. 15% of your disk needs to be unoccupied in order for Windows built-in defragmenter to work. Beyond that, it's up to you.

Your CPU is another story. It won't be easy to find effective security software that will operate on a P3. Even if you only use the computer for basic items, an internet connection is basic enough for an online criminal to find you.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Stewart Fluney wrote:
The above two items appear in my Disk Cleanup window, and I would question if it is o:k to delete them. The first occupies a space of 283 KB and the other 2537 KB. The description given of these two files in the Disk Cleanup window is "Files created by Windows".

I have a second question: I have approx. 5 GB left as free space on my "C" Hard Drive. Is this considered sufficient or should I have more? I am a retired senior and only use the computer for basic items.

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 Desktop computer with Windows XP - Home Edition Operating System - Service Pack 3, Pentium 111 with 930 MHZ, 20 GB Hard Drive and 512 MB of RAM. The file system is FAT 32.

Many thanks for your co-operation and response.

  • Re: Issue with Open(unit,STATUS=SCRATCH, iostat = ios)
    ... One possible issue could be that you try to open more files that Windows ... That gfortran segfaults when opening a scratch file fails. ... The fact that the program crashes randomly is a malfunction signal. ... May be I must continue my work on Linux. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Help reading my dump file and know whats wrong with my laptop?
    ... Interpreting dump files is not easy. ... process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not ... Does your Windows XP CD include the SP2 update or are you downloading ... I have a HP laptop ze1210, well this one have a AMD ...
  • Creating a custom install disk
    ... I need a way to clone this machine and install on the others. ... I did root first and was going to then do /usr, but the alterations to root were such that the system just couldn't keep going through the process. ... Creating the dump files on the new machine, booting the old from the live filesystem cd, recreating the filesystems on disk and then restoring from the dump files on the new system. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Programs for breaking Classic Ciphers
    ... Sorry to hear my program crashes your windows box;)> ... Is there a particular ciphertext or feature you ... but it always manages to crash my windows ...
    (sci.crypt)