Format Hard Drive & Clean Install of XP Pro

My laptop's performance has been rapidly deteriorating. I would like to
remove whatever is causing the problem & reinstall from the original XP Pro
disk.

I've been told the disk will do a clean install, but will it remove all
files without saving or backing them up? Would there be any benefit by using
the right-click "Format" option on the C drive in Windows Explorer first, or
any other procedure first?

I have reinstalled the manufacturer's original image disk several times, but
there's no improvement.

Am I correct in assuming the XP Pro installation disk is all I would need?

Thank you.

  • Clean installation of XP Pro fails
    ... A customer has asked me to reinstall XP Pro for him from a Genuine Advantage ... I've booted off the CD and selected the options to reformat the disk and do ... I've also tried install XP Pro to a different disk, with the same failure, ...
    (uk.comp.misc)
  • Re: user32.dll - error and then Blues Screen c0000135 user32.dll
    ... Looks like when I let the XP Pro disk begin start up.. ... Will Last Known Good Configuration work? ... work - i.e. bring me to anything tha tlooked like a restore menu .. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: chkdsk /f errors in Event Log
    ... How are the drives formatted? ... A disk check has been scheduled. ... Pro the day after purchase. ... I'd get a "no problems found" report. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Using a Dell OEM XP Pro disk to do an upgrade from Dell OEM XP Home
    ... One of our Dell desktops was seriously messed up with malware, viruses, ... and we decided it would be easier to just reinstall XP Pro. ... Home OEM disk from another Dell that we own, rather than the Dell XP Pro ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Slow new system--how do I check for mechanical performance problem?
    ... GB RAM and a Core2Duo cpu running Win XP Pro. ... I have experienced system slowdowns from two general culprits: file indexing ... restored disk image was my only viable option. ... install gets old and slows down naturally. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)