RE: How to Restore Active Desktop?

Dear Nass,

This is the URL of the problem:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Internet%20Explorer/Desktop.htt

I have the latest version of Trent Micro, so I don't think I have a virus.

I am restarting the computer now, to see if anything has changed.

Could a file be corrupted at that URL?

Thank you for your help.

John
"nass" wrote:

"John" wrote:

Hi,

My computer with Windows XP froze and when I restarted it, I can not get the
White Desktop screen to go away. This had happened to me before, but I could
always restore the Desktop, by clicking on the relevant button on the white
screen. All my icons are in place. This is the message I get:

An error has occerred in the script on this page

Line 65
Char 1
Code 0

Any advice?

John

If you are sure 100% your machine is clean skip these steps and go ahead to
the right click and the registry fix!

Go through these Cleaning steps:
1... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
by doing this:
Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
On the IE properties windows you will see these Tabs:
General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
[&] Browsing
[ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
culprit and update it or remove it.
How to manage Add-Ons:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256
Scan for malware from here:
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm?s_cid=sah
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-gb/default.htm

Run a scan from here on-line:
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
Download Avast Cleaner (offline scanner) from here:

Run disk clean up on your Drive.

-Right click on Desktop >>"Arrange Icons by" and make sure Lock Web
items is unchecked.

Active Desktop - Enable or Disable

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/wallpaperenable.reg

HTH,
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

  • RE: Cannot access single website
    ... If you tried the Add-Ons before the unchecking the check box you will see ... Connections>> Double click Internet Options. ... Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies. ...
  • Re: Error message.
    ... Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies. ... Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: system shutting down in 60 seconds problem.
    ... i have a problem needed solving. ... Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies. ... Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option: ... Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non ...
  • RE: MS Paint problems
    ... Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies. ... Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option: ... Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: MS Paint problems
    ... If you were working on the original and have no backups and attempted to overwrite the original and crashed it due to lack of space, then you probably are out of luck. ... Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies. ... Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option: ... Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)