Re: BSOD recovery

"MikeR" <nf4lNoSpam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23%23PKpiUsIHA.552@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am in the recovery console, and have created the tmp directory, but I
cannot copy the hives? to it. "The file could not be copied."
After this, for some reason I was able to go back to the last known good
configuration. I ran chkdsk /r, and no errors or bad sectors.

A new user was created with a user name of mike.computername. E-mail(OE)
settings and boxes are gone. Can I recover those? Or change to user mike?
There's no choice on the logoff menu.

Glad to hear you were able to get XP running using LKGC.

As for logging in to your old user account, if it's not listed on the Welcome
screen, it may be corrupted. You can try hitting Ctrl + Alt + Del twice at the
Welcome screen to bring up the Logon to Windows dialog. Enter your old user name
and password and see if it will log you on.

To recover your old files and folders, take a look at this article.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

You'll need to use a third account that's a computer administrator to complete
this procedure. You can create a temporary admin account and delete it when
done.

You'll have to recreate your email accounts. To recover your OE messages and
contacts, search for a folder with .dbx files and a .wab file. They can be
imported into your new account. If you run into problems, you might want to post
your question in the Outlook Express newsgroup,

microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

Good luck

Nepatsfan

  • Re: Old Hard Drive has restricted files
    ... folders under the account Eveline seem to be empty. ... folders? ... the files and folders and recover them. ... this listing can take *hours* to complete. ...
  • Re: Restoring Deleted Admin A/Cs
    ... Once an account is deleted, ... using a third-party program in an attempt to recover files. ... Search and Recover is a powerful arsenal of tools designed to instantly ... Can anyone let me know if its possible to restore the deleted account? ...
  • Re: EFS with no Administrator Certificate
    ... For lots of info about EFS, ... > user password via the administrator account). ... >>> when I tried to log into the administrator account I ... >>> recover the encrypted file; ...
  • Re: Recovering su password
    ... You can't recover passwords. ... that copy of the account password is stored using a simple XOR ... user's keychain may have the password to the other accounts. ... to access it in single user mode), but there is no request for a ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: would you believe it
    ... Most likely you created a new user account - rather oddly, ... My Received Files (incoming files and malware from IM) ... If you're on NTFS and make your files private, ... If you're trying to recover data, your first obstacle is NTFS - ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)