Re: BSOD recovery

"MikeR" <nf4lNoSpam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23%23PKpiUsIHA.552@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am in the recovery console, and have created the tmp directory, but I
cannot copy the hives? to it. "The file could not be copied."
After this, for some reason I was able to go back to the last known good
configuration. I ran chkdsk /r, and no errors or bad sectors.

A new user was created with a user name of mike.computername. E-mail(OE)
settings and boxes are gone. Can I recover those? Or change to user mike?
There's no choice on the logoff menu.

Glad to hear you were able to get XP running using LKGC.

As for logging in to your old user account, if it's not listed on the Welcome
screen, it may be corrupted. You can try hitting Ctrl + Alt + Del twice at the
Welcome screen to bring up the Logon to Windows dialog. Enter your old user name
and password and see if it will log you on.

To recover your old files and folders, take a look at this article.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

You'll need to use a third account that's a computer administrator to complete
this procedure. You can create a temporary admin account and delete it when
done.

You'll have to recreate your email accounts. To recover your OE messages and
contacts, search for a folder with .dbx files and a .wab file. They can be
imported into your new account. If you run into problems, you might want to post
your question in the Outlook Express newsgroup,

microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

Good luck

Nepatsfan

.