RE: Erroneous Message: Cannot Copy _ There is not enough free disk spa

Here's text directly from the Western Digital manual that came with my USB
hard drive. It explains why it doesn't write files larger than 4GB and how to
change it. I ran into the same problem trying to make a backup of file just
over 4GB.

Drive Format:

This WD device is preformatted as a single FAT32 partition for compatibility
with all updated Windows and Macintosh operating systems. The FAT32 file
system has a maximum individual file size limit of 4 GB.

To create partitions larger than 32 GB in FAT32 when reformatting the drive,
download the External USB/FireWire FAT32 Formatting Utility from
support.wdc.com/download.

Windows 2000 and XP users can overcome file size limitations by reformatting
the
drive to NTFS using the Disk Management utility. See answer ID 1287 at
support.wdc.com and article IDs 314463 and 184006 at support.microsoft.com for
further details.

Reformatting the Drive:

1. Go to support.wdc.com.
2. See Knowledge Base Answer ID 207 for formatting instructions.
After formatting, go to Downloads, find your product, download the My Passport
utility, and follow instructions as prompted.

-Mike

"Lee Beck" wrote:

I have a possibly damaged 500GB HDD (giving sporadic problems) and purchased
a new 750GB WD drive to remove/archive some files. I have copied some
smaller files, but am now getting a message on the larger files “Cannot copy
[file name]. There is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files…”

The file that I’m trying to copy is a 7 GB AVI video file and plays fine
from the questionable drive. The questionable 500GB drive has 30GB free
space and the drive that I’m copying to has 702GB free. My Windows C:\ drive
has 16 GB free.

The error message is obviously wrong. Is this a Windows glitch when working
with large files? If so, what’s a workaround.

  • Re: Blasterworm
    ... > will be formatting my harddrive soon and wanted to know it I can ... Download links can be found here under the section ... Also note that you now can get a free Windows Security Update CD ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
  • Re: SSD 744T upgrade
    ... The 744T will see a Windows FAT32 formatted CF ... 'fussy about formatting' - in what way please? ... Being used to dealing with computers and FAT32 drives, ...
    (rec.arts.movies.production.sound)
  • Re: Upgrading to new hard drive question....
    ... Was you install of Windows XP and upgrade over Windows 98 or Me? ... install a clean install of XP Pro but you formatted as FAT32? ... install formatting as FAT32 then you should be OK with the simple convert ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Disable copying stuff with formatting?
    ... It took the formatting from the website. ... Or download ... Windows XP SP2 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: NTFS For Mac OSX
    ... imposed by Windows XP and Vista when formatting a volume: ... you create a FAT32 volume larger than a certain size (32 GB, ... Windows 2000 didn't have this limit, ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)