severe and unresolvable fragmentation: why are tiny files in 9 fragments?

I tried multiple defrags and I'm still left with a lot of
fragmentation on my drive. I seem to have enough free space though! 12
GB free on a 37 GB drive.

This is my primary windows drive. Single logical and physical drive.
No partitions here.

I've a separate physical drive for my pagefile. (with a tiny 100 MP
pagefile on my primary drive)

Any ideas how I can work around this and get a defragged drive? I've
attached a full report below just in case there is something bad there
that I didn't spot! Maybe some of you experts have tips for me? One
thing I noticed is that my MFT seems severely fragmented! How do I
cure that?

The other thing that stumps me is how can I have several tiny
(kilobyte sized) files that seem to be heavily fragmented?? Also
attached a snippet below!

olume (C:)
Volume size = 37.27 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 24.82 GB
Free space = 12.45 GB
Percent free space = 33 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 4 %
File fragmentation = 9 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 225,199
Average file size = 146 KB
Total fragmented files = 253
Total excess fragments = 17,588
Average fragments per file = 1.07

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 100 MB
Total fragments = 2

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 15,871
Fragmented folders = 8
Excess folder fragments = 21

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 331 MB
MFT record count = 241,840
Percent MFT in use = 71 %
Total MFT fragments = 281

Fragments File Size Filename
9 624 KB \Documents and Settings\username\My
9 533 KB \Documents and Settings\username\My
8 298 KB \WINDOWS\Installer\51cfc2b.msi

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Best XP HD Defragmenter?
    ... "I not convinced that totally consolidating the free space is a good thing." ... Most everybody agrees that fragmentation results in a loss of file system ... Anything that you can do to minimize fragmentation (ie. ... not really a "good" time to run a defrag pass. ...
  • Re: How can I delete *selected files* from Trash
    ... goes haywire in such a scenario. ... I thought fragmentation is not an issue with OS X? ... around a lot as a free space threshold. ... recommendation that had something to do with how OS X managed extents ...
  • One reason file fragmentation happens so quickly
    ... How File Fragmentation Occurs On Windows® ... having all the free space ... When internet temporary cache files get deleted, ... And "consolidating every piece of free space" is no guarantee that newly ...
  • Re: Best XP HD Defragmenter?
    ... I not convinced that totally consolidating the free space is a good ... to make no effort to avoid fragmentation. ... the section about the choice between FAT and NTFS, ... fragmentation but that NTFS doesn't suffer from this problem. ...
  • Re: "Deleting all the junk on my hard drive made my computer run faster"
    ... > fragmentation is caused by the fact that the OS uses the first available ... Then you state a phenomenon of ... "...the drive, or partition, can have free space for data ... but there are contiguous alignments of the clusters on that drive ...