Re: Windows tools disappearing

I have two suggestions:

1- Show your computer to a professional. This is what I recommend.

2- "Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/

Viruses and other malicious software (collectively known as malware) can be very hard to detect, and even harder to remove. Sometimes, malware is impossible to remove, no matter what you try. (More on that later.)

If you suspect your computer is infected, follow these steps:

1) If you have anti-virus and anti-spyware programs already installed on your computer, update the programs and scan your computer. With luck, the programs will detect and remove the problem.

2) If the scan doesn't produce results, contact the program's technical support. Most of the major anti-virus/spyware programs will help you to remove an infection that their software did not detrect.

3) Scan your system with /several/ of the better free online scanners, such as:

Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
NOD32 (http://www.eset.com/download/index.php) - free 30-day trial
Trend Micro Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com)
Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)
Sophos (http://www.sophos.com/products/free-tools/sophos-threat-detection-test.html)
McAfee Free Scan (http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp)
Symantec Security Check (http://security.symantec.com)
Avast! (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-virus-cleaner.html)
GrisSoft AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/doc/34/ww/crp/0)

4) HijackThis (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php) is an advanced scanner for spyware. You can post its logs to http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 (among other places) and get expert analysis of what's on your computer.

5) Finally, if none of the above remove the malware, it's time to show the computer to a professional.

Here's a sobering thought: There may be nothing at all that you can do to remove an infection, no matter what you try. That's because some infections compromise your computer to the point where you can no longer rely on what the operating system is telling you. Rootkits are an example of this kind of infection. In that case, your only way out is to erase your hard disk and reinstall everything from scratch.

"Help I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

"So how did I get infected in the first place?"
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=60955

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

david wrote:
I also have a similar problem, when I use "my computer" and select "tools" /"folder options" I have recently only had two tabs available to me. one is the extension tab "File Types" and off line files. I have lost the other tabs. Also when I open "My Computer" It takes a long time to find my drives. NO disks in the DVD/Cd drive and no external drives connected. I also disconnected the printer but that did not seem to help either. I have turned off File sharing, no help. Defraged and checked disks more than once, no help. Emptied Temp folders and deleted "uninstall update files", no help. Where can I go from here. I wish there were a way to reinstall windows but not have to reinstall all the programs and settings. Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to make.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

I hate to say this, Jan, but multiple unrelated problems such as you are experiencing typically have one of two causes:

1- Making unwise changes to a computer, such as those resulting from the use of a registry cleaner, or
2- Infection by a virus or other malicious software.

May I suggest you post again, and describe specifically what happens when you try to change your wallpaper or open Help and Support. I recommend making a separate post for each issue.

Also look at Event Viewer for possible explanations of what's going on.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

roseran wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I can no longer access websites from Favourites, open the Search window, change my wallpaper, open Help and Support (I'm using a friend's computer right now) and use Windows defragmenter facility?
I have downloaded System Mechanic 7 very recently, hoping to solve these issues, but it didn't. Thank you
.