Re: Low Disk Space every boot

"Gerry" wrote:

Did you make the original post?

Which post?

Disk CleanUp has never been the most effective tool. You need to run it
in all user profiles as otherwise it only removes file with in the User
Profile it is being run. You should also restart the cpmputer before
running Disk CleanUp as otherwise the system may not have finished with
them. Was the box before Temporary Files checked before you ran Disk
CleanUp?

I have Windows Live OneCare which runs Disk Cleanup Automatically as part of
a regular TuneUp schedule. There is no choice to run Windows Live OneCare in
any particular user profile. Since tuneup is set to run weekly, the computer
will have been rebooted several times in between.

You can use cCleaner (freeware) which does a more thorough job.
http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp
http://www.ccleaner.com/

The problem is not that Disk CleanUp is not doing a thorough job. The
problem is that it is not doing its job at all!!

With any cleaner you need to proceed with caution. To be safe you
should create a restore point before using cCleaner. cCleaner also
offers backup before removal.

When using cCleaner think twice before checking Autocomplete Form
History under Internet Explorer. You do get a warning but this one has
irritating consequences. You may need to restore your system's
recollection of passwords after use so keep a record off computer so
that they can easily be re-entered.

Leave the Scan for Issues option alone.

I am surprised that you managed to generate 20 gb of temporary files.
Was this over a long period? What programme created so much?

Most of these Temporary files in the Windows/temp folder were created after
16 June 2007; which is about the date that I first installed Windows Live
OneCare.

Furthermore most of these temporary files were created at about the date and
time on which OneCare ran one of its schedules or when I run OneCare to view
scan reports.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rroentgen wrote:
Disk Cleanup may not remove temporary files if they have been created
or accessed within the last seven days. If a virus scan is run then
all files that are scanned, including temporary files, may be marked
as if having been accessed at the time of the scan.

At the moment my Windows/temp folder occupies 20Gig of drive space
because I had Windows Live OneCare set to run a virus scan daily with
the result that the "date accessed" of the files in the temp folder
never got to be more than 7 days old. This is agravated by OneCare
seeming to create a temporary file for its own use whenever it runs,
of about 75Meg, which it fails to remove when finished with what its
doing.

"Gerry" wrote:

Are you using a backup programme such as Norton Ghost?

I am not sure whether you are seeing all files and folders. Go to
Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings and
verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is
checked and "Hide protected operating system files " is unchecked.
You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also
make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file
types" is not checked. Next in Windows Explorer make sure View,
Details is
selected and then select View, Choose Details and check before Name,
Type, Total Size, and Free Space. Even then there are still certain
folders that remain hidden and this regularly promps discussion about
"lost" disk space. The System Volume Information folders containing
System Restore points, which by default is allocated 12% of the
drive / partition, is just one example of what remains hidden.

It is likely that an allocation of 12% has been made to System
Restore on your C partition which is over generous. I would reduce
it to 700 mb. Right click your My Computer icon on the Desktop and
select System Restore. Place the cursor on your C drive select
Settings but this
time find the slider and drag it to the left until it reads 700 mb
and exit. When you get to the Settings screen click on Apply and OK
and exit.

Another default setting on a large drive which could be wasteful is
that for temporary internet files especially if you do not store
offline copies on disk. The default allocation is 3% of drive.
Depending on your attitude to offline copies you could reduce this to
1% or 2%. In Internet Explorer select Tools, Internet Options,
General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings to make the change. At
the same time look at the number of days history is held.

The default allocation for the Recycle Bin is 10 % of drive. Change
to 5%, which should be sufficient. In Windows Explorer place the
cursor
on your Recycle Bin, right click and select Properties, Global and
move the slider from 10% to 5%. However, try to avoid letting it get
too full as if it is full and you delete a file by mistake it will
bypass the Recycle Bin and be gone for ever.

Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp
to Empty your Recycle Bin and Remove Temporary Internet Files. Also
select Start, All Programs, accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp,
More Options, System Restore and remove all but the latest System
Restore point. Run Disk Defragmenter.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Italo3 wrote:
I have been getting the "low disk space" message every time i boot
up, saying that i only have 20MB-200MB left on the C drive, which i
know is completely wrong. I have deleted numerous files and transfer
countless files to my external hard drive for the past week, and if
this keeps continuing, im not going to have any more files to delete
to create space!! (running Windows XP, 40GB hard drive, 2.8gh P4,
1gb RAM~ Dell 4600) In the past week i have cleared at least 10GB
from my hard drive since ive gotten the message.

When this occurs, windows explorer decides to restart itself
countless times in a row until i create more space, which has become
annoying. Also, for some reason, (dont know if this is related) my
taskbar has been resetting its settings and no programs show up on
the taskbar and it removes the quick launch bar. AND i have to go in
and uninstall/reinstall the audio device every boot up to get it to
work.

I noticed that going to regedit everytime i boot up is a short term
fix for the taskbar problem, but i really dont feel like going
through the trouble everytime i turn my computer on.

I also have noticed that the processes running on my computer have
decreased, from 50 to around 38+ which is weird.

I know a decent amount of stuff about computers and have been able
to keep the computer going like this for a week or so. Also, i am
debating buying a new computer just because of this one is getting
old, or is there a way that i can avoid that and just fix this
issue.

Any help would be much appreciated! thanks!!

  • Re: Deleting TEMP folders?
    ... Alter the "LastAccess" value for cleaning the Temporary files using Disk ... Windows XP Troubleshooting ... > folder contents immediately after the reboot. ... > Temporary Internet Files are best cleaned up by opening Control Panel ...
  • Re: can this temp directory be deleted
    ... The temp folder provides workspace for programs. ... temporary files there for their own temporary use. ... installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the ... aren't open and in use by an application, and since Windows won't let you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: free drive space?
    ... and moved photo albums to another drive to gain some additional room. ... inside the windows directory there is 'temporary internet files' and 'temp' ... right click on the folder when in the windows folder ... the windows drive clean up tools do not find or remove all temporary files ...
    (alt.os.windows-xp)
  • Re: harddrive back up
    ... Is it possible to just cut/paste programmes over to the slave and ... I never tried it on Windows XP ... EAZ Solution provide a FREE Folder Mover utility that allows you to ... Windows Temporary Files ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Low Disk Space every boot
    ... undeleted temporary files to make a significant difference in amount ... then the disk cleanup utility that comes with windows XP will not ... little about Windows Live OneCare. ...