Re: I'm an idiot with a recovery console

Hi Mike -
I'm having exactly the same problem - have you solved this?
Thanks for any insights,
Carrie

mike.tr.19T@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I had the same problem - I'm pretty angry right now.

At first I couldn't load explorer.exe b/c of iertutil.dll
I solved that by replacing it w/ an archived copy from a dll download
site

Now I have that blasted "ordinal 56" error when I try to run a
windows-associated process (includes many system processes as well as
things like media player and messenger)

I cannot view anything in Internet explorer either - firefox works fine
as does windows explorer but Internet Explorer opens up IE6 style and
doesn't open any sites or internet options.

I tried to run Windows update - no dice. I tried installing IE7
manually from the Windows site but it gives me a bunch of errors:
"windows could not load the installer for mouse" (sometimes says
"SCSIadapter" rather than "mouse")

I'm pretty frustrated and I just want a working OS again.

Any help is appreciated
- Thanks

needlove wrote:
Thanks for the reply and I'll check it out but I did get Windows up and
running by reinstalling IE 7. Haven't had time to try updates yet.

"Ayush" <ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com> wrote in message
| There is no Registry modification thing in Recovery console but if you
| have a backup (made by System Restore or manually), you can recover
| from the situation (If the problem is in registry) :
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
|
| --
| Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
|
| Search - www.Google.com | Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org
| Snip your long urls - http://snipurl.com/
|
| Replied to [needlove]'s message :
| -----------------------------------------------------------
| > I don't know how to use the recovery portion of the Windows XP CD, I
| > did type "help" like thats gonna help, and didn't see any thing like
| > regrestorefrombakup so i'm pretty lost. I can get into the injured
| > Windows XP but no Microsoft programs are working with the afore
| > mentioned error. If I could just get my backup to restore...I don't
| > use the generic restore system in XP thats all turned off but I know
| > the Volume Shadow Copy service is on. Well, I'm logging off this
| > installation and going back in there to see if i can kill it
| > completely.
| >
| > "needlove" <crunch4einstien@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| >> Hello,
| >> Trying to save a dying operating system Windows XP SP2 with all but
| >> one of the very latest updates. Scanned for viruses with two
| >> different AVS's scanners and am totally free of malware or viruses.
| >>
| >> History abriviated:
| >>
| >> Hopefully this is in order of occurance:
| >>
| >> First I went to safe mode just to look at my account and the
| >> administrator account and when I rebooted, starting normally this
| >> message appeared that I have never seen before: "Windows is
| >> replacing a file that is part of the registry the registry has been
| >> repaired successfully" (The message was similiar to that but I
| >> can't
| >> access the original message at this moment.) I had not made any
| >> manual changes to the registry but had recently installed IE7 from
| >> MS download. Everything was working fine except Windows Updates
| >> that
| >> downloaded but won't install, 6 of them, KB923980, KB92470,
| >> KB890830, KB927978, KB905474, KB920213. Using IE 7, and from the
| >> windows update log the initial windows
| >> update errors were, 0x800704dd and 0x80240020. I googled the error
| >> numbers and came up with a mass of information Including a MS
| >> website that exactly fit my problem and I followed the directions
| >> exactly with no resolution. I tried everything to get the critical
| >> updates and did get four out of six, eventually, by manually
| >> downloading and installing them. In an effort to get the last
| >> updates from windows update I
| >> uninstalled IE 7 since it seemed it did not operate under the
| >> proper
| >> permissions. Opps.
| >>
| >> I rebooted after the uninstall and got this: explorer.exe cannot
| >> start "iertutil.dll not found". No desktop of course just task
> [...]

  • Re: ntoskrnl.exe problem HELP
    ... 1- Use something like BartPE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ with a registry editor plugin http://sourceforge.net/projects/regeditpe/to edit the registry. ... 2- Mount the disk in another Windows NT type computer and use the "Load Hive" feature in Regedit or Regedt32. ... 3- Access the broken installation via a "Parallel" or proper "Dual Boot" installation on the same computer and use the "Load Hive" feature in Regedit or Regedt32. ... I've been using the Windows XP CD, but that only gets me to the recovery console, which thusfar hasn't done me any good, but if I can expand to the right thing from the CD, that sounds logical. ...
  • Re: How to restore disabled services to a non-functioning Services module?
    ... To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000 Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. ... Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. ... Note If the registry is corrupted or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: KB916281 cant install
    ... Make sure the Administrators group has Full Control permissions to the Auto ... Update registry key. ... Use an account that has administrative credentials to log on to the Windows ... access the Windows Update site, the data value should be a zero "0". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: Cannot login to Windows XP after repair
    ... This file edits an area of the registry, and Ad-aware 6 Build 181 is unable ... Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, ... If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation ... xp cd on two sep hard drives? ...
  • Re: Im an idiot with a recovery console
    ... There is no Registry modification thing in Recovery console but if you ... Windows XP but no Microsoft programs are working with the afore ... use the generic restore system in XP thats all turned off but I know ... I started an XP installation i have on a seperate ...