Disk defragmenter query?

I ask the Disk Defragmenter to analyse my C: drive. It says "You should
defragment this volume". So I defragment the C: drive. Then I ask the Disk
Defrgamenter to analyse the C: drive again. But again it says "You should
defragment this volume" ...

I've been round this loop a few times now but I cannot get the Disk
Defragmenter to report "You do not need to defragment this volume". I've
tried rebooting between attempts to defragment, but it makes no difference.

Any ideas please? Am I encountering some limitation of the tool?

Tony

  • RE: random hangs at startup
    ... If you get the same problem in Safe Mode, ... Defragmenting the pagefile is one way ... > to improve disk access efficiency during the potentially high disk access ... A normal defragment does not affect ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP - speed up disk cleaner
    ... Defragmentation and disk optimization in Mac OS X collectively ... purportedly performing these functions amount to little more than ... might need to defragment your drive: ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • RE: occasional disk read error at startup. is the hard drive bad?
    ... scan the hard disk and use the Disk Defragmenter tool to defrag the hard ... and then right-click the hard disk drive ... Click the volume that you want to defragment. ... 315265 How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Defragmentation of C:
    ... If a volume has less than 15% free space, Disk Defragmenter will ... only partially defragment it. ... remain fragmented (having two or more fragments). ...
  • Re: going in circles with defragmenting and chkdsk /f
    ... The fact that CHKDSK isn't able to completely run on the drive is telling. ... > I tried to defragment my computer recently. ... It said Disk Defragmenter ... It said The type of file system is NTFS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)