Re: Downloading XP Service Pack 1 error

From: Gerry Cornell (gcjc_at_btinternet.com)
Date: 08/01/04

Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 10:57:58 +0100

Iris

Do you have a Firewall?

Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and update
Reference file from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
and use it to remove parasites.

If you are still encountering unexplained processes after trying these
measures then you might look at trying other more sophisticated spyware
tools.

--
~~~~~~
Hope this helps.
<irism@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hello, dear Biblebum:
>  I am still too ignorant of the suppossedly wonderful
> Windows XP operating system to help you, but it is said
> that we feel better when in the same boat. I am not
> connected to the Internet through a server, and I
> frequently receive the same error message as you. I also
> receive "the page can't be displayed"and others.
> Sometimes, they keep trying to disconnect me after I
> connect with the MSN explorer.
>  I downloaded Internet Explorer from MSN after
> establishing the account over the phone, when my computer
> became recovered --I believed so-- from a number of
> damages caused by a worm. The infection entered the
> system, in spite of the Norton anti-virus program I had
> installed and running. It corrupted several files, moved
> others and impacted Internet Explorer AND the CD-ROM
> functionality. Internet Explorer is still semi-disabled. I
> paid two technicians for the repairs, and any of them
> could leave the system in the same good shape as before.
>  My downloads don't install easily either.
>  Regarding the security packages, me and others suspect
> that those aren't as indispensable as presented by the
> manufacturers. If a security package is so effective, why
> do you have to "correct" it with a new one almost every
> week? These downloads consume a lot of memory.
>  With Windows 98 I never got a virus, not even if using it
> thru a server. And I already know of several business
> owners who regret that they replaced their Windows 98 with
> XP's. After the 98, Microsoft has only complicated the
> Windows OS to the maximum, with the counterproductive
> result that the latest system is the least secure. But
> Microsoft is a virtual monopoly. How sad!
>  I have a personal computer and I am the only user, but my
> XP Professional requires that I work on it as if I was
> more than one user. It is terrible when you use so
> much "security" and still get the hackers' attacks.
> Unfortunately, these damned sociopaths are not suicidal,
> like the other terrorists.
>  I wonder if your hard disk lacks enough memory for a new
> download, or is enduring an undetected illness caused by a
> biological arm of cibernetic mass destruction. That's all
> I can think of, but I could be dead wrong. I haven't had
> the time to get all the XP knowledge that is needed to get
> to use this "wonderful" machine as if it was a normal
> office and communications tool. It is not normal, but
> sadistic.
>   Good luck!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SUS
    ... > I have setup a SUS Server on win2k. ... 0-2.reg will not configure your machine to automatically download updates from ... critical updates or service packs that your machine needs. ... It will also ask you if you want to install them, ...
  • Re: Best freeware available?
    ... > download it all the way and is stuck somewhere in the middle. ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... Empty your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files and make sure the ... install a third-party application and configure/maintain it. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Installation of 2003 SP2 ip address/gateway question
    ... The OEM 'reseal' procedure causes the original server name to differ from ... having diffuculties setting up internet and email accounts. ... NICs and ISA ... Plan to install SBS three times to ensure you've gotten the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Serious Spyware issues ...
    ... download a screen saver and install it as my ... >run Ad-Aware many times and hijack this. ... >until the next time I connect to the Internet, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: problems with debootstrap and stable or sarge
    ... ...and then Bob Proulx said... ... %> install, and have downloaded files to a handy /mnt/empty. ... % network install instead and only download what you need. ... I'm actually downloading to a server, not to this client, and then ...
    (Debian-User)