Re: Problem with 98se to XP-Home upgrade

Montalvo wrote:
I attempted to upgrade my Windows 98se to XP-Home and now my
computer won't boot. It shut down as part of the upgrade
installation process and during the re-boot, I got a screen that
said, "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency". It
recommends that I allow the check. After conducting the check, it
states that two files were "The size of \windows\dump23bf.tmp entry
is not valid. \windows\dump23bf.tmp is cross-linked on allocation
655369. Cross link resolved by copying". After that, it listed
the number of files by type, shut down, re-booted and did the same
thing all over again, although it began to list more and more
corrections. When I punched "any key" to skip the check, it
re-boots and then starts the process all over again.

I should mention that I had Norton A/V, SpySweeper and RegProt
loaded and operating at the time that I began loading the upgrade.
Yes, dumb, but I just didn't think to turn them off and/or unload
them. Just before it shut down for the first re-boot and got a
SpySweeper advisor window asking if I wanted to keep a file that
the upgrade was loading. The same happened with RegProt for a file
being loaded in the registry. I'm not sure what to do now. When I
hold the off/on button, the system shuts down but when I turn it
back on, the whole "do-loop" process just starts all over again.

I had Windows Start-up floppies that I created in Win98SE using a
program called Stomp Back-up My PC and I even tried insterting
those to see if it would boot back to Win98SE. That didn't work
either.

Can anyone offer any help?

Shenan Stanley wrote:
replace the bad hardware

Montalvo wrote:
Sorry but I must not have stated my problem very clearly. I'll try
to be more succinct. I tried to upgrade my operating system from
98SE to XP-Home. During installation, the computer re-booted into a
safe mode screen where it did a file check, shut down, re-booted to
safe mode, did a file check, shut down, etc., non-stop. There's
nothing wrong with my hardware. I'm trying to find out how I can
recover from a botched OS upgrade installation.

Anyone else have any ideas?

You found problems with your hard disk drives.. Sure - the files themselves
may have been recovered by copying using CHKDSK - but there very well may be
underlying issues. You should check your hard disk drive with the utility
you can get from the hard disk drive manufacturer's web site - top be safe -
before proceding further.

The other thing - you may have had a driver-overlay application loaded -
meaning you had a drive in your system that required software to correctly
identify its size. In taht case - BAD things may be going on right now.
Does your system hardware BIOS see the hard drive as the actual size it is?

You can try putting in the Windows XP CD, boot from it and perform a repair
installation:

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

You could also try booting with something like a BartPE/UBCD CD and copying
your data to something external and performing a clean install (the best way
to "upgrade" anyway IMHO.) http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Overall though - with your original statement of:

"After conducting the check, it
states that two files were "The size of \windows\dump23bf.tmp entry
is not valid. \windows\dump23bf.tmp is cross-linked on allocation
655369. Cross link resolved by copying". After that, it listed
the number of files by type, shut down, re-booted and did the same
thing all over again, although it began to list more and more
corrections. When I punched "any key" to skip the check, it
re-boots and then starts the process all over again."

You are telling me you have hardware issues or something is wrong with the
FAT/MFT table of that drive that will be best corrected by a full check by
hard disk diagnostics, perhaps a zero-write pass and definitely a format.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • How to run preupgrade?
    ... I have F14 installed on my Macbook Air, and I want to upgrade to F16. ... So I read the installation manual, ... re-boot as instructed, but my F14 system just re-booted as normal. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Purchase XP, where and which version?
    ... previous Windows installation (onto a newly formatted hard drive in this ... are not stand alone Windows 98 install disks AFSIK.) ... Then run the XP upgrade CD ... then there may be little downside to a clean installation for you. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to Repair Office Installation w/o Program Launch?
    ... If your current product is an upgrade version you ... are REQUIRED to retain the qualifying product as a part of your upgrade ... The only way to complete the installation ... I need to detect and repair my Office ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)
  • Re: upgrade to Windows XP professional
    ... First the problem The install makes it through the "collecting information" and Dynamic Upgrade" sections. ... If you turn off all of WinXP GUI eye-candy, it will still be very slow, but it might be usable for simple word processing, email, web-browsing, etc. ... But I'm not sure how easy that would be to do with an upgrade CD rather than a new installation CD. ... This information will be found at the PC's manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Upgrading to XP w/SP2 from 98SE, via boot of CD
    ... They, or equivalent XP versions, can be reinstalled once the upgrade is ... If you've decided to bite the bullet and go with a clean installation of XP, ... To let you know more of what I use on my comp, and do, I figured I'd give you ... off everything, including the antivirus program, while upgrading. ...