Re: Disk Management Tool in XP Upgrade

Well Ken....with companies like Symantec, AVG, McAfee..and the such,
I've had most of the problems with XP updates and Symantec Firewall and
AV programs conflicting with SP2 and other MS products.

Ask any average consumer, but thats about the size of it....6 in 3
years is pretty common for the most part...I know of people that have
installed their OS completely 3 times within a year, so my posting
shouldnt seem that out of this world...

By the way...thanks for all the help....

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
hiredgun56@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Okay...let me go step by step: maybe this will help other folx
too....which is why we're here...

I had to reinstall my OS due to MS updates conflicts.

I had a FAT 32 Partition allocated 35 gig...and a NTFS partition 33
gig, that i had to delete.

I took the advice of Seagate, and completely zero-ed out the
drive...took about 5 hours. seeing I was having problems deleting the
NTFS partition.

The puter is a HP pavilion, with WIN ME. I got into FDISK, and had
problems setting partitions. After I finally got a DOS primary
partition installed, I used the HP recovery disks to reinstall the
system.

After I reinstalled the OS, I upgraded to XP Home.

All of this was entirely unnecessary. You didn't need to zero-fill the
drive, you didn't need to use FDISK for anything, and you didn't need to
install Windows Me before using the Windows XP Upgrade.

The requirement to use an upgrade version is to *own* a previous qualifying
version's installation CD (with an OEM restore CD, see below), not to have
it installed. When setup doesn't find a previous qualifying version
installed, it will prompt you to insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just
insert the previous version's CD, and follow the prompts. Everything
proceeds quite normally and quite legitimately.

You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore CD of a
previous qualifying version. It's more complicated, but it *can* be done.
First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the XP upgrade CD from within
that restored system, and change from Upgrade to New Install. When it asks
where, press Esc to delete the partition and start over.

Since you apparently just did this and don't really have much, if anything,
but the operating system on the drive yet, if I were you, I'd just start
over. Do a clean installation by booting from the XP Upgrade CD (change the
BIOS boot order if necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for
a clean installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
prompted, then create a new one--preferably NTFS, not FAT32, since you
apparently want it all in a single partition.).

You can find detailed instructions here:

or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

this is probably at
least the 6th time in 3 years I've had to reinstall the XP update.

That's extraordinary. Why? With reasonably good maintenance, you should
never have to do that. I've run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95,
Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, each for the period of time before
the next version came out, and each on two machines here. I never
reinstalled any of them, and I have never had anything more than an
occasional minor problem.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Now, my puter is only seeing 33 gig of storage, and I cant find the
rest of it. Disk Management in XP is greyed out, expect for open,
explore, and properties.

Now....I'm trying to find the rest of the HD storage....which I can't
seem to do.

The system runs fine, just have only 33 gig out of 74 after
formatting, to use.

I've installed the system before, never had problems like this.

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
hiredgun56@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Problem: Seagate Hard Drive 80 gb.; and XP is only recognizing 33
gig. File system was installed as Fat 32.

Windows XP will not create a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB
(although it will happily use one if it is first created
externally). You are running into that limit.

The Disk Management tool will not function, to find lost hard drive
space, which is over 40 Gig.

It's not lost space., it's just unpartitioned space. You can't use
it until it's partitioned.

Question: Am I to assume that the Disk Mangement tool will only
function when the File table is NTFS?

No, that's not correct. The unpartitioned isn't even NTFS. It
doesn't even have a file system until you've partitioned it.

It sounds like you're just doing something wrong. Read here: "How to
use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP" at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Please reply to the newsgroup

Gee, I'd actually like to use the 40 gig....I like to use what I pay
for....

Thanks....

  • Re: No authorization to change files in Recovery Console
    ... The results of the MAP command just a while ago revealed that you have a 76293 MB Partition on your first hard disk. ... It seems that you are preparing to reinstall Windows anyway so why not try it and let us know? ... "John John" wrote: ... That is the default password on many installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Crazy XP reinstall...what does this all mean???
    ... Create a DOS boot disk in Windows XP (using 'format' and checking the ... 'pqmagict.exe' which is rather an old version of Partition Magic for DOS but ... Put the XP Installation disk in and reboot to it. ... I was told to delete the windows partition and recreate it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Installing widows alongside Ubuntu
    ... NLITE to slipstream them to the installation media I have because I do ... (for those who remember something similar in Windows 2000, ... is that you have a floppy with suitable boot drivers and a text file ... by GRUB or LILO in a different partition - the Windows ...
    (alt.os.windows-xp)
  • Re: Old computer with little memory...bigger page file help?
    ... hardware is the cause of the slow/poor functioning of the pc. ... Windows 98 runs on any and all combinations of FAT32, ... an upgrade installation to XP ...
  • Re: Parallel Installation does not recognize the original copy of Windows 2000
    ... It doesn't see the other installation because it doesn't recognize the ... You must *F6* very early and very important (at setup is ... insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your serial ATA ... There's no advantage to installing programs to a separate partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)