Re: How to share Drive or Folder with workgroup members only?

On the XP machine sharing the folders set up users using the same user name
and password used to log into the "other" computers in the workgroup.

On the XP machine right click the folder to be shared and grant *only* the
proper user proper permission to the folder. I would suggest removing the
"everyone" group from access to the shares.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Jim Strenk" <jimstrenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Being connected to the internet via a cable modem and router, I wish to
> share either drives or folders so that ONLY workgroup members have access
> the share.
>
> How do I create a share so that ONLY workgroup members have access to the
> share and NOT have people from the Internet see and access the share?
>
> My intention is to create a central location on an XP Pro machine that
> allows all workgroup members to have access with read, write and modify
> rights.
>
> Is there a way that this can be done safely?
>
> If not, is there some other topology that would allow for workgroup
> members
> only to have access to a drive or folder share?
>
> Any tips or suggestions on this matter would be most appreciated!

  • Re: Cant see computer name in workgroup
    ... The workgroup is set to the same name on both computers. ... I have run the network setup wizard on both computers multiple ... On the Sharing tab, check Share this folder on the network, give it a name ... Once the drives and/or folders are shared, you will see them in My Network ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Cant see computer name in workgroup
    ... The workgroup is set to the same name on both computers. ... I have run the network setup wizard on both computers multiple ... On the Sharing tab, check Share this folder on the network, give it a name ... Once the drives and/or folders are shared, you will see them in My Network ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Location of Workgroup administrator in Office 2002
    ... in the same folder. ... You shouldn't have multiple users sharing the same mdb. ... > shortcut to test the databse on my C drive the only difference being ... >> while using the system.mdw workgroup file. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)
  • Re: Panny Blu-ray vs Time Capsule shared disk
    ... connect to a USB drive shared from a Time Capsule to play videos? ... TC/Manual Setup/Disks/File Sharing to enable Windows style file ... sharing by filling in the Workgroup panel - "workgroup" is probably ... Shared Folder Name ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Default User Settings??
    ... I am forced to use a workgroup instead of an AD in one office ... > 314486 How to Add Printers with No User Interaction in Windows XP ... > | is a hidden folder), the policy configuraitons are mostly stored in this ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)