Re: Problems running XP upgrade

From: Jack E Martinelli (jemartin_DELETE_at_NO_SPAM_gis.net)
Date: 12/24/04

Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:39:28 -0500

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

How to troubleshoot problems during installation when you upgrade from
Windows 98
or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
"Aradia" <Aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have recently tried to upgrade from Windows ME to XP.
> After several unsuccessful attempts to actually get it installed, I
believed
> I had managed, as XP loaded once (the upgrade CDROM was still in the
drive,
> and I now wonder whether it simply booted from that).  Each time I attempt
> start the PC now, I get the message that windows needs to check the files,
> for something to do with FAT32 (this is prior to windows loading).  I
allowed
> this to run through - which took about 48 hours, and it told me that it
had
> repaired several files etc, then rebooted - and gave me exactly the same
> message.  If I cancel the check, the PC simply reboots again - and
provides
> the same message, and when I run the check (which now completes within a
few
> minutes), it again just reboots, so I can't actually get it to run
windows.
> I don't know whether it is linked, but I ran Scandisk in ME, as it
prompted
> me to each time I loaded, and this too took around 48 hours to complete.
Is