Re: Problems running XP upgrade

From: Jack E Martinelli (jemartin_DELETE_at_NO_SPAM_gis.net)
Date: 12/24/04

Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:39:28 -0500

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

How to troubleshoot problems during installation when you upgrade from
Windows 98
or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
"Aradia" <Aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have recently tried to upgrade from Windows ME to XP.
> After several unsuccessful attempts to actually get it installed, I
believed
> I had managed, as XP loaded once (the upgrade CDROM was still in the
drive,
> and I now wonder whether it simply booted from that).  Each time I attempt
> start the PC now, I get the message that windows needs to check the files,
> for something to do with FAT32 (this is prior to windows loading).  I
allowed
> this to run through - which took about 48 hours, and it told me that it
had
> repaired several files etc, then rebooted - and gave me exactly the same
> message.  If I cancel the check, the PC simply reboots again - and
provides
> the same message, and when I run the check (which now completes within a
few
> minutes), it again just reboots, so I can't actually get it to run
windows.
> I don't know whether it is linked, but I ran Scandisk in ME, as it
prompted
> me to each time I loaded, and this too took around 48 hours to complete.
Is
> this likely to be an error on the Hard Drive?  I can however reinstall ME,
> and it works perfectly now.
> Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get over this problem?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Old computer with little memory...bigger page file help?
    ... hardware is the cause of the slow/poor functioning of the pc. ... Windows 98 runs on any and all combinations of FAT32, ... an upgrade installation to XP ...
  • Re: upgrading to windows xp professional upgrade error
    ... I tested WinXP on a 500 MHz ... select "Windows Classic." ... download and run Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any ... HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Fresh install
    ... As a computer technician, you'd already know that the WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it comes to performance, stability, and device driver and software application compatibility. ... Granted, many uninformed people do recommend that one always perform a clean installation, rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. ... One would save a lot of time by upgrading a PC to WinXP, rather than performing a clean installation, if there're no hardware or software incompatibilities. ... Microsoft has greatly improved (over earlier versions of Windows) WinXP's ability to smoothly upgrade an earlier OS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How can I upgrade to xp via group policy?
    ... The WinXP upgrade ... Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit: ... > point I get an error msg "The installation source path specified in Setup ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: upgrading to windows xp professional upgrade error
    ... The pc has an 8 gig scsi hard drive, basically I have all my hardware (pro ... and passed the upgrade advisor. ... >> I purchased a copy of windows xp professional upgrade and I'm upgrading ... > HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)