Re: HUGE AUTO SPACE CONSUMPTION !!

From: Gerry Cornell (gcjc_at_btinternet.com)
Date: 08/04/04

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:20:21 +0100

You might look at the Indexing Service!

I am not bothering to comment about cluster sizes as Ron Martell has
provided an excellent answer.

Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
combination of factors. Listed
below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing poor
performance after
the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting of
Windows XP but the
list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the list
until you achieve an
acceptable result.

Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how often
you do it will depend
on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:
1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore (
more Options tab )
and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
partition you may
need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete
Cookies.
5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
visited is retained. Start,
Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.

Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
update Reference file
from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
parasites. If Spyware
persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over reliance
on virtual memory,
may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier
version of Windows.
Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256 MB
is
recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on pagefile
(virtual
memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
http://www.dougknox.com/

Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where your
pagefile is located.
You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative Tools,
Services, Indexing
Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running. More
information here:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing_Service

You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
programmes/windows after
use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started are
really necessary.
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular programme.
Look in Google to
see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a solution.
http://groups.google.com/

Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event Viewer by
selecting Start,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the
error, information
regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"RAHUL GHOSH" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi!
> I'm having Celeron 633MHz processor & Intel 810
> motherboard..Previously I had only one 20GB SEAGATE
> harddisk(with 3 partitions--C,D,E) & 2 CDdrives in my
> system that used to run only on win-ME..It used to boot
> pretty fast & there was no unwanted diskspace
> autoconsumption on any of those drives..
> Recently I've installed another 40GB SAMGSUNG harddisk in
> addition and freshly partitioned & formated both the HDDs
> (20GB partitions-C,E,F & 40GB partitions-D,G,H) and setup
> a dual boot system with win-ME on C: & win-XP on D:..
> But now my system is booting fairly slower than before,
> and more significantly some amount of disk space(say
> 16kb,40kb,76kb,136kb etc) is automatically consumed in all
> the drives upon every few times the system boots.. & this
> consumption is increasing gradually & automatically..
> I've noticed that space on drives of 20GB HDD is getting
> consumed by multiples of 16kb & space on drives of 40GB
> HDD is getting consumed by multiples of 32kb...
> My questions are:- Previously this peculiar thing was not
> happening, then why is it happening now?? How can I stop
> this unwanted space consumption in dual boot & make the
> system boot faster like it did before???
> My Present file system for both win-ME & win-XP is FAT32..
> My present IDE conections are as below:-
> HDD #20GB - master
> HDD #40GB - slave
> Both on the primary IDE channel
>
> CD #1 - master
> CD #2 - slave
> Both on the secondary IDE channel..
> Is there anything wrong with my present IDE connection or
> file system ?? If yes, please suggest how it should be???
>
> But someone few days ago, has blamed me about not taking
> into account the volume cluster sizes in relation to my
> above problem..
> He also advised me to run a chkdsk from the CMD box...
>
> But I didn't get the concept of volume cluster sizes in
> relation to my problem.. can you explain please???
> and What is the CMD box he was talking about???how to get
> to it??
> & yeah i did checked the system restore settings as per
> his advice..
> there i could find that all my HDdrives are being
> monitored and max 12% of diskspace is alloted for system
> restore on all drives..
> I dont know what should be the correct/optimum
> setting..Whether all the drives should be monitored and by
> how much (%)???
> Please advice..
> will modification of this setting have any influence on
> booting time(faster/slower)???
> will this modification help me overcome the basic problem
> of auto-consuming unwanted diskspace on all drives which
> goes on increasing day by day??? Or is this a very normal
> phenomenon???
> N.B:-please note that i'm having dual boot with ME & XP
> on 2 different drives..
>
> Please Please reply to all the questions.Regards, Rahul.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: BIOS - COULD THERE A PROBLEM WITH MY PCS BIOS?
    ... You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel, ... View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP ... with a Master - DMA off, Slave DMA on, Secondary IDE channel with a ... I have hibernation turned off on both drives ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: slow performance
    ... Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, ... may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier ... You can have too many programmes running in the background. ... Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? ...
  • Re: Slow running PC
    ... Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, ... may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier ... You can have too many programmes running in the background. ... Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Need help Restoring Win XP System
    ... Do you have a restore point predating the problem? ... may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier ... You can have too many programmes running in the background. ... Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? ...
  • Re: IE 6 (XP SP2) slow to open webpages
    ... Have you tried deleting Cookies? ... >> starting of Windows XP but the ... Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started ... >> Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? ...