Re: Configuring WinXP as Gateway router

James,

This is what I've tried:

Attempted to clone the MAC address of the Wireless Card onto the MAC Bridge
Miniport and vice verse.

Not 100% certain of my procedure, but didn't wreck anything. Still cannot
internet when bridged.

I think the problem is in my device instance id compatabilities. Do you know
whether the device instance id's can be changed to THE compatible one
PCI\VEN+14E4)?

Is that necessary? If I do that, will I be able to admin the MAC?(I will be
researching this too, btw.)

The problem seems to be that the LAN card doesn't allow locally administered
MAC. The WLAN does, but the config doesn't seem to work.

00904B24C6C9 old wireless MAC

020BDBA30BC6 MAC bridge miniport??

000BDBA30BC6 old ethernet MAC

This is my WLAN Device Instance Id:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_00011028&REV_02\4&39A85202&0&18F0

These are compatible Id's:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_16A6REV_02
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_16A6
PCI\VEN_14E4&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_14E4&CC_0200
PCI\VEN_14E4
PCI\CC_020000
PCI\CC_0200

This is my LAN Device Instance Id:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_16A6&SUBSYS_81261028&REV_02\4&39A85202&0&00F0

These are compatible Id's:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&REV_02
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320
PCI\VEN_14E4&CC_02800
PCI\VEN_14E4&CC_0280
PCI\VEN_14E4
PCI\CC_02800
PCI\CC_0280

--
PB

"Psycho-billy" wrote:

James,

I don't have config access to the gateway, and yes, there are several other
computers attached to the LAN, but they aren't mine either.

I double-checked the network map as well as possible. No other machine has
the 192.168.0.87 address, but some, including the old name for my W2K
machine, show hostnames instead of IP addresses, so I can't be too sure.

I'll contact the LAN manager and see if that can't be cleaned up a bit, and
then try some add'l IP addresses.

At bottom, though, I've been around the world on this thing and it comes
down to the fact that the bridge causes loss of internet connection. If I
setup through IE before I make the bridge - no connection; if I try IE setup
after the bridge, it gets torn down. And when I try to share the connection,
it conflicts with the 192.168.0.1 address on the gateway, which I can't
control.

I don't know of a router that will work with this hardware configuration,
and have thought of using a DSL modem - gateway config. More fun!

Regards,
Larry Marquardt
--
PB

"James Egan" wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:22:02 -0800, Psycho-billy