Re: Workgroup PC doesn't see itself....

File and printer sharing is enabled on a machines. What puzzles me is why
the other two members of the workgroup can see the laptop, but it can't see
itself.

I have Windows Firewall disabled on that machine. I'm running ESET Smart
Security Suite. The configuation is the same on all 3 machines.

I disabled ESET's firewall on the laptop....no difference.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Jeff <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've seen this problem in the past, and found a solution, but after
much seaching I can't find a solution this time around. Sooooo....

I have a home office network consisting of 2 desktop machines and 1
laptop, all running WinXP Pro SP3. The network is a Workgroup and
each machine has a unique name in the same Workgroup.

The laptop doesn't see itself or any other members of the Workgroup,
yet the other members see the laptop and can access the laptop's
shared drive.
If I click on My Network Places > View workgroup computers on the
laptop and get an access denied, contact network administrator error
message. This from an administrator account on the laptop.

How can I get this machine to see itself and the other members of my
workgroup?

tia

--jeff

Make sure that file & printer sharing is enabled on all PCs, and that an
exception for same is set in the Windows Firewall on each

  • Re: Active Directory computers
    ... They only have the concept of a workgroup, you just specify the domain for the workgroup. ... Members of a domain NEED the actual computer accounts to establish the trust connection. ... Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services ... I have a few win98 machines that required simple production functions... ...
  • Re: XP networking issues
    ... Laptop in a domain at work, home system in a workgroup. ... I tried using a local account on the laptop, ... >TCP/IP, reboot both machines, still no success. ...
  • Re: View workgroup computers NOT working
    ... > Just joining all computers to the same workgroup doesn't create a usable ... > networking will still work fine HENCE the useless nature of the wizard. ... > problem is with the user on the laptop. ... not connecting to other machines. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Workgroup PC doesnt see itself....
    ... The NetBIOS settings are the same on all 3 machines: ... is why the other two members of the workgroup can see the laptop, ... laptop, ...
  • Re: Workgroup PC doesnt see itself....
    ... I have Windows Firewall disabled on that machine. ... laptop, ... The network is a Workgroup and ... The laptop doesn't see itself or any other members of the Workgroup, ...