Re: XP Home Cannot Connect to Router

LAN card is definitely installed OK. If I plug in/unplug the LAN cable I get
a notification from the network icon in the system tray saying that a cable
is unplugged or Local Area Network connected. There are also link lights on
the router and the LAN card. However, when I do ipconfig when plugged into
the router, I get no IP output at all. Maybe the LAN card is bad so I'll try
another card.

Just to clarify, I should need do nothing once the router is configured, it
should just connect as it does on the Vista laptop??

Thanks for your help.

"Ron Lowe" <ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS> wrote in message
Am trying to change over from using my ADSL modem to using a router
which has a built in modem. Using the modem, I have no problems
connecting to the internet. However, when I connect to the router via
wired LAN, I cannot get a connection to the router to configure it.

Posting back with the result of ipconfig /all may help.

Here's the ipconfig /all output.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XPHOME
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter Wanadoo Broadband:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
195.92.195.95

That shows the existing modem connection.
There is no sign of your LAN card here.

The machine does have a LAN card installed, doesn't it?
Do you get 'link' lights coming on on both the router and network card
when you plug the cable in?

Go to Control Panel -> Network and sharing center;
Under 'tasks', choose 'manage network connections';

Check your LAN card is present, and not disabled ( ie not greyed out).
If it's disabled, r-click and enable it.

If it's not there at all, you need to go to device manager and look for it
there.
Make sure its not disabled in device manager.
Enable it if it is disabled.
Ensure there's no problem reoprted in dev man. ( missing driver etc ).
If it is all present and correct in device manager, but missing in Network
Connections, then the connection has become corrupted somehow. Remove
the card in device manager, reboot and allow windows to re-install it.
This ought to re-create the network connection.

If it's totally missing in Device Manager also, then you need to check it
has not been disabled in BIOS or hardware.
If there is no such option, then perhaps the LAN card is bad and needs
replacing.

--
Ron

.