Re: XP Home Cannot Connect to Router

LAN card is definitely installed OK. If I plug in/unplug the LAN cable I get
a notification from the network icon in the system tray saying that a cable
is unplugged or Local Area Network connected. There are also link lights on
the router and the LAN card. However, when I do ipconfig when plugged into
the router, I get no IP output at all. Maybe the LAN card is bad so I'll try
another card.

Just to clarify, I should need do nothing once the router is configured, it
should just connect as it does on the Vista laptop??

Thanks for your help.

"Ron Lowe" <ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS> wrote in message
Am trying to change over from using my ADSL modem to using a router
which has a built in modem. Using the modem, I have no problems
connecting to the internet. However, when I connect to the router via
wired LAN, I cannot get a connection to the router to configure it.

Posting back with the result of ipconfig /all may help.

Here's the ipconfig /all output.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XPHOME
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter Wanadoo Broadband:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
195.92.195.95

That shows the existing modem connection.
There is no sign of your LAN card here.

The machine does have a LAN card installed, doesn't it?
Do you get 'link' lights coming on on both the router and network card
when you plug the cable in?

Go to Control Panel -> Network and sharing center;
Under 'tasks', choose 'manage network connections';

Check your LAN card is present, and not disabled ( ie not greyed out).
If it's disabled, r-click and enable it.

If it's not there at all, you need to go to device manager and look for it
there.
Make sure its not disabled in device manager.
Enable it if it is disabled.
Ensure there's no problem reoprted in dev man. ( missing driver etc ).
If it is all present and correct in device manager, but missing in Network
Connections, then the connection has become corrupted somehow. Remove
the card in device manager, reboot and allow windows to re-install it.
This ought to re-create the network connection.

If it's totally missing in Device Manager also, then you need to check it
has not been disabled in BIOS or hardware.
If there is no such option, then perhaps the LAN card is bad and needs
replacing.

--
Ron

  • Re: on-board LAN card problem
    ... LAN Card: RealTek RTL8201CL ... my router goes ON & at the very next moment it says "a network cable is ... Is On-Board LAN providing problems. ... able to have a continuous connection to the internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: XP Home Cannot Connect to Router
    ... a notification from the network icon in the system tray saying that a cable is unplugged or Local Area Network connected. ... There are also link lights on the router and the LAN card. ... However, when I do ipconfig when plugged into the router, I get no IP output at all. ... However, when I connect to the router via wired LAN, I cannot get a connection to the router to configure it. ...
  • Re: Shared internet with XP fails.
    ... The router does not show up in the Device Manager because it is not a part ... > Help files contain no entry under either Mac or Mac address. ... - Tried Belarc - under communications it gives my Network ... > the LAN card only, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: \computer is not accessible - intermittent problem
    ... > going through all the network connections again, ... >>> I also just swapped the connections to the router. ... >>> the router through its LAN card and activated my desktop's wireless ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: XP Home Cannot Connect to Router
    ... However, when I connect to the router via wired LAN, I cannot get a connection to the router to configure it. ... The machine does have a LAN card installed, ... Do you get 'link' lights coming on on both the router and network card when you plug the cable in? ... If it is all present and correct in device manager, but missing in Network Connections, then the connection has become corrupted somehow. ...