Configure ddns in router through telnet
- From: Ravi Agrawal <ravi.agl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:43:11 -0800
-- Hi all,
I thought that this was the right place for my query so here it
Following is my setup:
1. ADSL always on Internet Connection via Modem with built in
Router and NAT Capabilites (Huawei SmartAX MT841).
2. Dynamic IP address provided by ISP that changes randomly
(between a period of 4 to 8 hours of inactivity).
3. Running VNC software to access single PC behind the Router.
4. Have subscribed to Dynamic DNS Services to update IP whenever
it changes with a software Client installed on PC.
5. Have setup Port forwarding correctly and am able to access my
PC from another remote PC connected to the internet.
6. PC is connected with LAN card with WakeOnLan capability.
7. My ISP is blocking incoming requests to port 80 but I am able
to get DDNS services from port 8245, hence the underlying
problem is not related to Ports being blocked By ISP.
1. I wish to keep my PC powered off so that I can power it on
remotely using Magic Packets to WakeOnLAN.
2. I am willing to keep my Router On ALL the time in place of my
3. This Router will be able to forward / send Magic Packets for
WoLAN to PC.
4. Since the PC is powered OFF meanwhile, the software Client on
Pc will not be able to update the IP on the Internet Server
providing DDNS services.
5. The Firmware in the router supports DDNS but GUI has no link
to implement it.
6. I have to setup the DDNS Client in the Router to send IP
updates to the DDNS server by telneting the router.
I have managed to telnet it and configure it for DDNS updates but
there is a problem:
I have to put in 4 variables to setup the service properly.
hostname, password, username, vendor
I have the values for the first 3 but am not sure about the
After setting up the 3 Values and enabling DDNS on my router I
get the following error message:
webserver:Reading owned node but no read lock acquired
I think there is some oddball setting that I may be missing but
it is the "vendor" variable which seems to be causing the issue.
Morever if I can get hold of any script to upload to the router
which will take care of this work it would be helpful.
The main thing is that I want to keep my PC powered off (grin)
ofcourse to save power and that's all the only reason for
getting into this stuff else I can easily manage it keepng it
powered on ALL the time. And ofcourse the fact of Dyamic IP
Allocation by my ISP puts in all the necessary hassle. BTW my PC
is reachable if by chance the IP address provided by the ISP had
not expired and the IP uploaded to DDNS server was still valid
but that was only a case which was 1 out of 4 times and I need a
I need to appologize for this ultra long post but to help the
Community understand my problem and keep proposed solution much
in line with the problem indeed this was needed to be documented
A message received from query addressed to the DDNSservice provider is as
Ravi, thank you for contacting our customer support team. That error is
being generated by the router itself. You will need to
contact the manufacturer for more information on how to configure the
DDNS client, as we cannot provide support for their device or client.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
This was the mail I sent to them>>
My router is huawei SmartAX mt841
I wish to use its built in DDNS client for Dynamic DNS Services
but it does not have Graphical User Interface for the same.
I managed to telnet to it and retrieved the following
It has ddns command for enabling Dynamic DNS and asks the
paramaters to be input
I tried putting the hostname as grtraders.getmyip.com & vendor
as members.dyndns.org:8245 and also set the username and
password parameters to their respective values
& intercahanged the values of hostname & vendor above as I was
not sure of them
but got the following error both times when I enabled DDNS
webserver:Reading owned mode but no read lock acquired.
Maybe you can help. I know my isp is blocking port 80 so I tried
to get the job done on port 8245.
- Prev by Date: Re: home network problem, computer name/path not found, invalid na
- Next by Date: Re: Cannot join domain by Windows XP Tablet Edition
- Previous by thread: Re: Cannot join domain by Windows XP Tablet Edition
- Next by thread: Enabling Automatic Updates via group policy